i had my graft 2 days ago

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

i had my graft 2 days ago

Postby lou » Thu 07 Jun 2007 8:38 am

Hi All

please could someone tell me if how it feels it right....

1. still struggling to keep eye open
2. get the odd sharp pain that then makes eye water
3.just want to close my eyes and sleep
4.keep feeling very sick (could this be the drops)

All went well they did a full graft and they say they are very happy with it.

thanks

Emma xxx

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Thu 07 Jun 2007 8:50 am

Emma
Can't really help with much advice I'm afraid - but the tiredness and feeling sick could be to do with the general anaesthetic. If you are at all worried I would phone the hospital straight away.

Hope you feel better soon..

Take care
Pat
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

I had my graft 2 days ago

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 07 Jun 2007 9:19 am

Emma - 2 days is very early and it is quite normal to feel a bit knocked out after the op. I felt sleepy for about 2 weeks after my first graft (for the second one, I think they reduced the dose of anaesthetic and I wasn't quite such a zombie then). I didn't have problems opening my eye, but it did feel a bit 'yucky' for the first week or two and I know others hear have reported that it was some time before they could open the grafted eye. Over the next few days, you should find things improving a lot. So just be kind to yourself for the first couple of weeks and put your feet up! And as Pat says, if you are worried, do ring the hospital. All the best for a speedy recovery!
Anne

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 07 Jun 2007 9:49 am

Hi Emma,

What you are going through is relatively common.

1. still struggling to keep eye open

Your eye has just gone through major surgery so will be quite sore, but over the next few days opeing it will be easier. I found dark glasses and darkend rooms helped.

2. get the odd sharp pain that then makes eye water

When I had my garft this was because my eye lid was getting used to the tiny stitches which are rougher than a contact lens. Verry annoying, but the eye lid toughens up quite quickly. If after a week or two this still happens, most here have found it to be due to a loose stitch.

3.just want to close my eyes and sleep

That is just the residual anaesthetic working its way out of your system. If you feel sleepy, sleep it is doing you god as you are relaxing.

4.keep feeling very sick (could this be the drops)

Again down more likely to be the anaesthetic as it works its way out of your system.

Hope this helps.

Gareth
Gareth

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Thu 07 Jun 2007 9:52 am

Hi Emma

Very well done on your graft, i think youre very brave as i'm extremely nervous about the prospect of having mine .

I'm absolutely amazed that after just 2 days you have managed to be brave enough to open your eye at all, and to see well enough to actually write a post for us is amazing.

After the major op you have had then it is only right now that you take your time and rest , put your feet up and get pampered as much as you can for as long as you can :lol: ,
and if that means plenty of sweet goodies to eat and being fanned with an exotic palm leaf to stay cool in this wonderful weather then go for it girl :lol: :lol: :lol:
I really look forward to your posts on your continuing recovery. I sincerely hope that everything goes really well for you .

Mike
onwards and upwards

tommy.dean
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby tommy.dean » Thu 07 Jun 2007 2:10 pm

good luck emma, am sure everything is going to be fine an you'll be seeing out of the eye again in no time!! just a mini concern about you feeling sick make sure they check your pressure at your next post op because that can make you feel nauseous, like everybody else has said though it will just be the anesthetic working its way out of your body. Anyway hope your okay and enjoying being lazy :D it's the best excuse in the world to stay in bed i use it now an I'm 4 month's post op lol.
tom

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Thu 07 Jun 2007 5:48 pm

Pat, Anne, Gareth, Mike and Tom

Thankyou all very much for your posts and kind words i had to go to the doctors today (for something else :roll: ) and they checked my BP and its still a little low and that on top of all ive had done could be whats making me feel sick, saying that ive have felt very well this afternoon (lets hope it continues).

Ive not needed any pain killers as i have found it to be a painless op just a little discomfort that is begining to settle down :)

Thanks again all

take care

Emma xxx

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Thu 07 Jun 2007 9:40 pm

well done on the graft !!! i was groggy for a good couple of weeks aswell so i would say this is normal i also found dark glasses and darkend rooms very good for ages after the graft (had it last november ). its good that your not having much pain either with my previous posts i found that some have pain and some dont we are all different at the end of the day anyway.
:roll: I made sure that i had new sun glasses for after the graft, and got home from hospital to find that my mum had thrown them away by mistake :evil: ... they were designer osiris red and black and my most divine glasses to date... i ended up with freebie magazine glasses that hubby electrical taped over the grafted eye lens coz they were rubbish LOL and i ended up waiting a week to have new NOT designer orange and black glasses.... it taught me a lesson not to buy designer ones all the time and not to be so materialistic over glasses LOL... anyway that was completly random but t i hope it made you smile.. and have a happy healing time, chill out and take all the sympathy you can get :P :D
love
nicola

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Fri 08 Jun 2007 6:33 am

Emma,

Great that you have had it done!!! Yes it can hurt really badly, give you sharp bursts of pain, make you sensitive to light and you might feel sleepy and sick and want to hide in bed all day!! When you think of it though, your poor little eye has gone through a major trauma!! It needs lots of rest, prescribed eye drops and TLC!!!

Stay strong, it will all get better in the end! Love Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”