Intacs questions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Edward Hall

Intacs questions

Postby Edward Hall » Mon 28 May 2007 12:04 pm

Hi, I am considering intacs but would like to know a bit more about them from people that have already had them done. Here are a few questions that I have; any advice would be much appreciated:

1) Are intacs any good for mild KC with intolerance to contacts?
2) Do they help with ghosting, glare, streaking etc?
3) Can you feel them?
4) Once the procedure has been done, can you see them at any time in your field of vision? (i.e. at night time when your pupils are bigger).

Thanks!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 28 May 2007 3:00 pm

Edward

Have a look at Intacs Frequently Asked Questions

1) They are designed for mild/moderate cases.

2) Ghosting, glare streeaking in some cases can still be a problem with unaided vision, but the aim is to make a surface that is easier to correct with either glasses or contact lenses.

3) Some people can, it seems to be an indiviual thing.

4) Part of determining if you are suitable for the procedure is to see where the intacs need to go and what the pupil size is when fully dilated. If it appears the intacs will be visible in these situations, some surgeons prefer to look into alternative treatments.
Gareth

Louise Berridge
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Louise Berridge » Sat 16 Jun 2007 1:17 pm

Hi Edward,

I had INTACS in one eye two months ago. I'll answer your questions.

Yes they work best for mild/moderate cases.

They have reduced my astigmatism from 4/5 to around 2 so some ghosting has reduced. However, I do still have bad days where the ghosting seems as bad. I do get some glare at nights, which I didn't get before the the INTACS.

3) Can you feel them?

Sometimes I can, although the surgeon says I shouldn't. It's not unbearable though and I can put up with the odd bit of discomfort for the improvement in vision.

4) Once the procedure has been done, can you see them at any time in your field of vision? (i.e. at night time when your pupils are bigger).

Sometimes I can see the edge of the rings sparkling, This is meant to settle though. It can take a few months to 18 months to settle and for the brain to get used to them.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Louise

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 16 Jun 2007 5:47 pm

Ed

Just be careful about what youexpect of any procedure: none will cure KC.

They may provide a good way of managing your condition. It is clear from posts here that the Intacs procedure has been of enormous benefit to some, and a bit of a disappointment to others.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Stephen Borthwick
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Stephen Borthwick » Sun 24 Jun 2007 7:39 am

Hello Ed - I 've had INTACS too for moderate KC, like Louise. I'm at the Conference next week: if you (or anyone else) is there I'd be happy to discuss. I had one eye done a year ago, the other 6 months ago. My vision's not perfect, but...

Yes. In fact I would say that the real benefit is the ability to tolerate contact lenses again.

Yes, the usual KC effects you describe are reduced to a degree, but not eliminated. The key for me is the ability to use soft lenses to further reduce the aberrations.

3) Can you feel them?

No. You can't actually even see them in a mirror, without shining a light across your eyes.

Sometimes I catch a sparkle in my peripheral vision in the dark.

Andrew warns that for some it's good, and for some it's a disappointment. He's right - for me it's a bit of both. My uncorrected vision is better; my astigmatism is reduced; I can tolerate soft lenses where previously I couldn't; but the KC effects are not significantly reduced without lenses; recovery and changes to vision extend over 6 months.
Stephen Borthwick

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Sun 24 Jun 2007 1:41 pm

And to jump on the bandwagon, so to speak....

I'll be at the conference as well next Saturday.

I had my INTACS done in February this year.

1. Yes, but there are other factors which will also determine suitability, such as thickness of cornea.

2. They have certainly helped with my starburst and glare. Starburst have greatly reduced and glare is now almost non-existent.

3. No

4. Yes, I get prismatic sparkles around points of light in the shape of the implants in dim/dark light conditions. It was annoying at first but now I've become used to it that it no longer bothers me and hasn't affected my ability to drive at night.

Remember that not everyone who has mild KC is suitable for INTACS and the results will differ from person to person, some will find improvement and others unfortunately not. Also, as with any surgical procedure there are risks involved and these should be explained to you clearly before surgery. Despite the infection immediately post op, I have no regrets in having the procedure done.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”