DLA

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

DLA

Postby martwoman » Sun 13 May 2007 6:09 pm

Could any one advise me on wether i would have a case for claiming DLA as i am practically blind in right eye (awaiting Graft) and can barely wear my left lens in my left due to allergys and struggle to read and quite often have to get people to read/write for me.
I also struggle to cross roads as i cannot due the speed of cars as they are blurred so when out on my own i have to waut till all the cars have completlly gone passed me or if at a crossing they have completly stopped so as you can imagine this is a tad annoying as it takes me longer to get were i am going. When out with other people i rely on them to help me get around safely and quickly.
my friend says she thinks i should be ale to claim as she gets it and doesnt have half the problems i have but she has back problems not KC. Please note i all so suffer with depression and anxiety which somtimes mean i wont go out on my own cause i am scared i will get run over or sometnink and sometimes when I go out i have panick attaks because i think people are staring at me/talking about me cause it takes me so long to cross roads
Has anyone with KC been able to clain DLA
Please note I am currently working part-time after doctors advice due to my depression although if i went back to work full time i would not be able to the paper work required due to my KC which at the minite I don't do as my person in chargr is understanding but if i went back full time i would not get away with not doing any
Luv
martwoman

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Sun 13 May 2007 6:31 pm

Hi Martwoman

I have been on incapacity for 10yrs (high rate/long term) and since last July i have been on DLA too.

My advice would be is to contact your consultant to get you registered p/sighted then get in-touch with your local social services they will sort things out to aid you in your home (blobs,large phone,buzzer etc) and they can help you fill in a claim form for DLA.

I had only ever claimed for incapacity over the yrs as i felt if i claimed other benefits it would be like cheeting the system (hubby on a good wage) but it wasnt until i began injuring myself (burning,cutting and the odd broken bone) and the birth of my daughter that i contacted social services for help and they were shocked that i wasnt claiming DLA we put a claim in and it was approved with no medical.

Put a claim in if your entitled to it its a bonus.

All the best

luv

Emma xxx

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 13 May 2007 8:12 pm

Martwoman

Get your ophthalmologist to register you as blind or partially sighted and you are autonatically entitled to claim Disability Living Allowance.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Mon 14 May 2007 6:43 am

Certainly claim DLA, took them over 12 weeks to come back with a decision but I got it.

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Mon 14 May 2007 9:29 am

Thanks for the advice guys i will do the things you suggest then let you know the outcome
take take all of you
luv
martwoman

Return to “General Discussion Forum”