Seeing with one eye

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jeff

Seeing with one eye

Postby Jeff » Sun 13 May 2007 6:49 am

I have been thinking about having Intac treatment but can only afford to have one eye treated at the moment.
I was wondering if anyone knew how I would get along being able to see through one eye until I can afford to get the over eye treated?
I should be able to afford retreatment on the second eye within a year.
My understanding is that your dominant eye responsible for doing most of the work. Therefore if I have the dominant eye treated I should be ok.
I will of course discuss this with the consultant.

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Michael P » Sun 13 May 2007 11:57 am

Hi Jeff and welcome.

I am currently wearing one lens only in my left eye because I am having trouble getting a comfortable fit for the other.

Whilst the situation is not ideal I have certainly found that the eye with the lens in does indeed dominate and I my vision is pretty good and I can do more or less whatever I want to.

I hope this helps.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 13 May 2007 1:45 pm

It maybe takes a day or two to get used to seeing clearly from one eye with the other one all blurry.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Sun 13 May 2007 1:45 pm

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the site!

I too am only wearing the one lens at the moment as I have had some probs with my right lens - I've been ordered by the hospital not to wear it!

Which is fun because my right eye is my dominant eye and I've suffered from double vision in the past. With good eyesight my double vision (thanks to two ops) disappears and isnt an issue. However, with one eye in focus and the dominant one not, woah - its kinda strange! Driving on the motorway is a no no!

I'm assuming you're wearing lenses at the moment so I'd suggest taking one lens out for a couple of hours and see what the effect is like. Then reverse and take the other out.

You should cope without any problems - at least this way you'll be fore-warned and able to decide which one to do first.

In any case, even with my eyes behaving strangely with just the one lens I find covering my right fuzzy eyes cures the problem and removes the double vision. If intac recovery rates are as quick as they say you shouldnt have to do this for too long..

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 13 May 2007 4:26 pm

Quite often wear one lens when I need vision for extended periods of time, before the intact surgery spend the weekends with just one lens and as confidence builds and brain adjusts do it for periods in the week.

The brain is remarkebly adaptable.
Gareth

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Sun 13 May 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Jeff

Welcome to the forum.

I too just wear 1 lens in my right eye, and have for almost a year now. left eye intolerent and waiting for transplant.
I cope very well and still drive etc. though it did take a period of "brain" adjustment and i did have a lot of bad headaches, but more than used to it now

mike
onwards and upwards

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Seeing with one eye

Postby jayuk » Sun 13 May 2007 8:43 pm

Jeff

Welcome!

I only could see with one eye for around the last 2.5 years.....and managed perfectly well.....theres nothing I cannot do.......the brain will get used to it...in a matter of a week or two....but just bear in mind that there will be an additional load and use of that eye...which can have the potential to give you headaches initially whilst your brain adapts...

HTH

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue 15 May 2007 4:24 pm

Will it make any difference that they eye which i will be able to see better with is my dominant eye?
I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing - i've heard that you read with your non dominant eye.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 15 May 2007 5:44 pm

Jeff,

My left eye is the dominent if it is obscured I see with the right.

Basically I think the brain takes the best image it can to interpret what is happeing around us.
Gareth

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 15 May 2007 6:47 pm

I started using just one lens when one broke and then I had some abrasions and started switching between left and right.
My right eye is dominant and the least affected by KC. But I find it works both ways, when I have a lens in the right, it becomes a 'super eye' since I get 6/6 easily with a lens and my brain switches the left off completely when the lens in my left eye, I still get good eyesight but it is assisted by the moderately good unlensed right eye. My brain seems to work out quickly where to get its data from. I can use the lens to switch between eyes for days where I need prolonged use. Its just a case of getting used to it and training the little grey cells.

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”