Corneal Grafts

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Corneal Grafts

Postby martwoman » Sat 12 May 2007 11:39 am

I am really disappionted was scheduled for a cornea graft on my right eye for this momday 14th may but after attending my pre-op assessment on wednesday and given the all clear on leaving i was stopped by a nurse and was told by the nurse that my op has had to be canceled as thier was not a suitable donnor. I am 26 yrs old and have been told their is not alot of corneas available for my age, i am so dissappointed as i do not know how long i am going to have to wait and i am scared that my left eye will get worse while i am waiting to the extent that i will have to give up my job I am practically blind in my right eye and do not have brilliant vision in my left although this is fantastic when i have my contact lens in but unfortunatley i struggle to wear it most of the time due to allergys and my friends and family don't eally understand although they try to be supportive
I stuggle to read most of tthe time and also to watch tv my family do understand wht i get so depressed and upset please can someone give me hope. :cry:

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 12 May 2007 5:24 pm

martwoman

I hope it isn't too long before your graft is able to go ahead. I think that they are keen not to graft tissue into your eye that is very much older than you are. The sad thing is that the material only becomes available when somebody dies.

How are they going to notify you? Will you be called into hospital at short notice?

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Sat 12 May 2007 5:40 pm

Yes it will be short notice. they have my mobile number as not very often at home. i have been told the op will be on a monday and will have to go in about 4pm on the evening before. Spoke to surgeons secretary on friday said she phoned the eye bank on fridayjust to see if any think had come avalable but nothink had she sia she would keep trying and let me no as soon as she nose
anythink I feel comfident it will be sooner rather then later as she is phoning the eye banks nearly every day for me as i am a very high priorty case.
I have learnt to accept that i have got to have a graft
and i'd rather have the chance to have the gift of site back then live another day like i am.
Take care and all the best to you to Andrew
Last edited by martwoman on Sat 12 May 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 12 May 2007 6:09 pm

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Sat 12 May 2007 6:29 pm

I hope all goes well for you when you have your graft.
I was in a similuar situation to you, where vision was really bad in one eye and not very good in the other.
i was set to have a graft in september but it was then cancelled because the contact lens clinic wanted to try me with a scleral lens, i was really gutted because i knew the lens would be no good for me (although many people get on really well with scleral lenses they were not for me) I had my graft in November and it was worth the wait.
Hang in there and i am sure all will be good :D

Anne

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Sat 12 May 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks for that it has cheered me up a bit knowing some one else felt how i feel know hopefully i wont have to wait to much longer.
for got to say in my first posting the nurse said hopefully it will be rescheduled for 2 or 3 weeks time but they cannot promise anything and it might be longer but who cares how long it takes as long i get one. Could be worse could be totally blind lookly i am not :)
Best wishes to you and hope all continues to go well with your graft
luv
Martwoman

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Sun 13 May 2007 7:25 am

Hi Martwoman

Hope you hear soon looks like we will be going through it at the same time i have my right eye graft in just under 4 weeks (5th june).

Best wishes

Much luv

Emma xxx (im 28yrs)

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Sun 13 May 2007 5:15 pm

Hi Emma
Will let you know when I get an exact date and we can discuss are experiences including are highs and lows if only to cheer each other up
Good luck and I hope all goes well :)
Take care
Luv
martwoman

martwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby martwoman » Sun 13 May 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Emma
its martwoman again just wondered which hospital
you are having your graft done as you are quite local to me. Who is your surgeon by the why as I know some of them work in more then one hospital.
My surgeon is Mr maharajan and i am having my graft at Queens medical centre in notts
again all the best
speak soon
luv
martwoman

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Sun 13 May 2007 5:33 pm

Hi Martwoman

Im under Arun Brahma at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.

take care

luv

Emma xxx

Return to “General Discussion Forum”