Having bad day with my lenses; HELP!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 20 Apr 2007 7:30 am

Leggy,

With the exams and lens problem you had yesterday, get yourself down to the GP and get a doctors note explaining the problems to the examiners as you are entitled to extra time.

If you can not see, the Uni can enlarge the exam papers to A3 to help, arrange for someone to read the questions if you can not see the exam paper. When I needed this for A levels in 1988 I also had the option of someone writting down the answer I dictaed to them because I was legally blind with my KC then. Even without these changes I was eligable for extra time.
Gareth

brigid downing
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby brigid downing » Fri 20 Apr 2007 9:11 am

I know it is easier said than done but try to relax. My eyes always seem to get worse whenever I have any kind of stress.

Make sure your uni tutors know what is going on - they be able to offer more help than you think. Speaking as one myself I know that the vast majority of us really want our students to perform to their best and get the grades they deserve. If we know what the problems are, we can help. If we don't know then we can become irritated and fustrated by seemingly erratic, disorganised or lazy students.

Communication can make such a difference and, at most universities, there are established protocols for dealing with almost any situation and special need - and where none suitable exist, they can be created.

Speak to your tutors and get the support you need.

Brigid

stokie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bad day!

Postby stokie » Fri 20 Apr 2007 2:18 pm

leggy84 wrote:Someone give me some advice please! Im having a really bad day with my contacts, i cant seem to have them in for more than 10mins today and my glasses are practically useless now. i'm scared to leave the house as i have become so dependent on my contacts and can't see a thing and the sun doesn't help either, lol!. What can i do?

ive had that numerous times mate

for some dodgy reason the past week ive had no troubles with my lenses ahd them in allday

i take mine out wash them with bottle water clean in,then when i next wnat um in wash again put the solution on it then put it in sorted,dunno if im doin it right but tis workin for me

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 20 Apr 2007 3:37 pm

I can hear the optoms scream from here about the use of water bottled or otherwise.

They will be screaming, n you should be using the proper saline solutions.

Basically it is because saline is made to a higher standard than bottled watre or tap water.
Gareth

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Val G » Fri 20 Apr 2007 7:02 pm

Leggy

Could it be hayfever starting that is making you have bad eye days?

kerrie phillips
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby kerrie phillips » Tue 01 May 2007 3:41 pm

definately send lette od mitigating circumstances to who is in charge of running the exams.
i was offered my own room, to do my exam alone with a tutour paper in A3 and large print and an extra half an hour entitlement. i could also have had a computer instead of having to write.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 02 May 2007 1:03 pm

Perhaps a bit late for your exams but I have to echo Val's concern about hayfever. Your first post conincides rather neatly with the start of the season and my experience is that hayfever makes you seriously photo-sensitive.
I also just found out that the reaction make your eyes more prone to abrasion as well. Your optom can help with eye drops etc which might help.

Get a life...get a dog!

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Wed 02 May 2007 8:34 pm

mathew has echoed my thoughts regarding the start of hayfever season, on top of that i also find that i am more vulnerable to bad eye days on a sliding scale of increased stress levels. your exams would definately increase your stress levels i'm sure :roll:
hope you recover well enough to acheive the results i'm sure you have worked so hard for. dont let KC rob you of anything

mike
onwards and upwards

Return to “General Discussion Forum”