Corneal Transplant Number Two : DALK

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Corneal Transplant Number Two : DALK

Postby jayuk » Sun 07 Oct 2007 12:52 pm

Piper

I agree.knowing that I have the best of both worlds with the grafts, is also a comforting feeling. The fact that the cornea is moer flat, easier to fit with the new kerasoft lenses, and I am sure a fair few of the newer soft lens technology leaves me no doubt that I will get decent enough vision.....

Jay
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 07 Oct 2007 1:04 pm

Piper, I found the K" Kerasoft which is the latest on did not allow enough oxygen through to my graft.

Since August I have been working closely with a contact lens manufacture working on a better soft lens for KC that has oxygen transfer comparable with an RGP.

I tried it Saturday and with the first design got 6/6 in both eyes and the lenses were really comfortable. The more radicle lens design worked well on my left eye which is flatter and gave a good 6/6. Still understanding why the right lens using the radical design not so good, but the design being tried has never been done before on an advanced case of KC but the data still looks promising.

Sure I could get 6/5 if my cold were not still lingering, plus we discoverd I have an issue like Timtim wit convergence which may have been mis diagnosed as dyslexia!

So my eyes are freakier than first thought.

Jayuk good to know you are getting good refraction.

Piper in due course there may be a new type of soft lens that would give you the vision you are entitled to and the comfort we all desire from a lens. From my perspective this looks achieveable in the very near future.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 07 Oct 2007 4:17 pm

Jay!

Good to see you, my friend. Well done on the progress following your DALK.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Wed 23 Dec 2015 4:14 pm

Well well well - its been a while :-)

Do the likes of Lynne and Sweet and all still post?

So its been a long while since ive posted here but do try and read from time to time

I wanted to check back in with an update for people

So after the following

Transplant 1 : Full PK - 2005
Transplant 2 : DALK 2007

I have had an extremely good outcome and the last 10 years have been pretty good and overall uneventful in terms of KC

However, as part of a yearly checkup we found that my FULL PK'd eye have an element of KC back from my own tissue which was lifting the graft up.

6 days later was in with C4S and had C3R done but this time with Epithelium Off - wow! that was extremely painful for 24 hours! Worst pain Ive ever had to go through including a comparison post corneal transplant with stiches!

Anyway - its been a few weeks since the C3R and I am confident and I guess hopefull that the KC will cease to progress but time will tell

Over the year in both eyes I have had overall success in terms of vision - ranging from 6/6 - 6/9 with Glasses.

Hope everyone here has been well and hope you all have a good Xmas
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 23 Dec 2015 4:47 pm

Wow! Welcome back, Jay! And it's great to hear that the reason you've been away for so long is that the grafts have worked so well for you for the last 10 years. And why should I be surprised that you're trail blazing again? I think you're probably the only one here to have crosslinking done in these circumstances. I hope it does the trick and there'll be no further progression of the KC. How about another update in 6 months or so rather than 10 years this time? Wishing you all the very best.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”