New to this

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

DTee

New to this

Postby DTee » Mon 09 Apr 2007 10:02 pm

Around a year ago, I found out i had KC. I didn't know what it was but soon found out in much more details. I was given gas permeable(sp?) hard lenses. Initially they were very uncomfortable so after about a week of trying them I gave up.

More recently about a year onwards, I found that my vision had gotten pretty bad. I couldn't drive at night and text was hard to read on the computer screen. I started wearing my lenses again, they became much more comfortable and vision correction was great.

Now the backgrounds done... The problem. Recently I've had a hard time with my lenses. My eyes burn/red/get sore when i put them in. I thought this was because the solution might have expired. I cleaned the lenses and tried a few days later but no change.

I'm slightly confused at the moment, I have a follow up appointment in 2 months but i'm unsure what to do int he mean while?!
Keeping wearing them? seek immediate advice? or wait?

could it be the cleaning routine? I seldom cleaned them with the cleaner, always opting for a quick rinse with the conditioning solution.

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Mon 09 Apr 2007 10:38 pm

Hi Dtee
& welcome to the Forum. Sorry you had to find us by being diagnosed with KC but you will find lots of help and support available through this group.

could it be the cleaning routine? I seldom cleaned them with the cleaner, always opting for a quick rinse with the conditioning solution.

Almost certainly I would say yes! Or at least is a contributory factor. I understand it is very easy for deposits to build up on lenses and it really is essential that you clean them properly every time you wear them.

If you find the routine a chore (which I confess I do) then you'd be better off getting an "all in one" solution like Boston Simplus which at least has a cleaner and protein remover in it. The conditioner alone won't be cleaning your lenses.

I'm no expert here, as I've only recently started wearing RGP's myself, but my advice would be:
Assuming your eyes have only been sore when you've put your lenses in:

1. Give your eyes a break for a couple of days
2. Give your lenses a THOROUGH clean with the cleaner.
3. Rinse thoroughly with Saline.
3. Invest in some protein remover tablets (Boots or any good optician will sell them) and follow the instructions carefully.
4. Put your lenses in the conditioner after all the above done and leave to soak for at least the minimum recommended time.

And if either the cleaner or the conditioner are out of date - and that includes if they have been open beyond the recommended time (usually 3 months I think?) - then don't use them but get a fresh supply.

If your eyes are sore when you are not wearing your lenses then get them checked out straight away. In fact it might be worthwhile doing that anyway, as you could have an infection as a result of not cleaning your lenses properly!

Do keep us informed and let us know how you get on.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

brigid downing
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby brigid downing » Tue 10 Apr 2007 9:52 am

Hi Dtee

I would agree with Pat. Cleaning lenses thoroughly is very important and makes them so much easier to wear.

I have experienced similar difficulties to those you describe and have found them to be due to one of three things.

1 Sensitivity to the solutions I was using. I have found the "Boston" system works for me but one i used previously ( whose name I cannot actually remember!) definately did not. AO sept plus for sensitive eyes is another I have had success with recently (because the chemist didnot have any Boston one time when I went in).

2 not cleaning properly - this was happening because one time I got distracted be the door bell and put a lens which I was cleaning, in my eye with out rinsing. The pain was excruciating I became very wary of using the cleaner and like you I began just to rinse my lenses, but after a couple of weeks I was suffering the effects.

3. not using enough eyedrops to keep my eyes "lubricated". that is probably not the right word but I have found that my eyes seem to alternate between being very watery and being too dry. Comfort drops do actually me with both, especially when using the computer, exposure to air conditioning or if there is something in the air which is irritating - like pollen or air freshener. Of course issues of sensitivity can also extend to these so it may be worth trying a couple.

I can therefore, only suggest, from my own experince, that you try being more vigilant with your cleaning and protein removal. Perhaps try a new new solution for a week or so.

If it carries on I would move my appointment closer, if at all possible. Even if just for my own peace of mind that there is not something more seriously wrong. Athough less likely it could be something that you need to seek outside help for. There is always a risk - however slight - of infection, especially if the cleaning regime hasnot been perfect. Alternatively I have also experienced episodes of rapid perscription change which not only reduced the vision I was achieving with my lenses but also meant they actually no longer fit properly and so were uncomfortable and kept falling out.

Cheers Brigid

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 10 Apr 2007 12:42 pm

DTee

Welcome to the forum!

Your "fit" may have changed. One of the things about KC is that the fit for lenses does change quite rapidly.

Go back to the optometrist before the two months have gone by.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Tue 10 Apr 2007 3:18 pm

hi dee
welcome to our gathering

firstly i would agree strongly with having a thorough cleaning regime , your eyes are precious and deserve to be looked after well.

secondly i wouldnt wait to go and get checked out as i suspect your fit may have changed.
the tell tale sign is in that you say you feel a burning sensation after a short period and then your eyes redden.

over the last 18 months before becoming lens intolerant i was being refitted every 2 months, each time experiencing the symptoms you describe.
my lenses were becoming "tight" which meant my tears werent able to get underneath and neither could oxygen, causing the cornea to dry out rapidly, this is what causes the burning sensation.

dont suffer longer than you need, go get checked

mike
onwards and upwards

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Tue 10 Apr 2007 3:35 pm

Hi DTee.

I think you have had plenty of good suggestions.

I remember clearly the first time I had symptoms similar to those you describe.

I went back to Moorfields because of the extreme discomfort and they advised me that it was a build up of protein on the lenses; I had not been told about having to use protein tablets periodically.

So whenever my eyes start to feel sore it is usually time for a dose of protein removal!

DTee

Postby DTee » Wed 30 May 2007 7:49 pm

Hey Guys,

I thought I would come back and update everyone. First of all Thank you for all your suggestions. It was very comforting to know that I'm not the only one having these problems. I'm in my early 20's therefore its been quite difficult for me to deal with the condition, maybe the lack of wearing my contact lenses has made me feel like there is nothing i can do but I know now that this isn't the case.

Anyway carrying on from where i left off,

I saw my doctor a week later. The doctor told me that I had conjunctivtus (caused by not cleaning my lenses properly). He instructed me to put some anti-biotic drops in my eyes. This was a crucial time for me. I had just finished one exam at univeristy and had 2 coming up. I went ahead and followed the doctors advice. My eyes had severe reaction to the drops. (this disrupted my revision and probably didn't help my exams either)

I went to A&E because my eyes became started burning became itchy, blood shot and tired. The doctor told me i had viral conjunctivtus. He gave me some lubricating drops and instructed me not to wear my lenses. I went home and relaxed waiting for my appointment at the eye hospital on the 30th of may.

Today I had my appointment at the eye hospital in london. I was told that the infection had gone and my contacts were dropping out due to the fitting having changed. I have booked an appointment to get the fitting corrected. I left the hospital hoping to wear my contacts after getting home, I was very excitedto try the new simplus solution and takign GOOD care of my contacts.

I came home after purchasing the Boston Simplus solution and decided that now that the infection was gone i could give my contacts another try. In my excitement i dropped the lens in the sink and it got flushed down the drain. (I'm not joking! I felt like crying, in a manly way ofcourse)

Now... The lessons I've learned after al that:

1) CLEAN the lenses properly
2) DO NOT skip appointments
2) NEVER mess around with lenses where you are likely to drop them.

I'm probably going to be out of pocket for the lenses once more but I'm extremely glad that nothing serious is wrong. I'm waiting to see the appointment date if it takes too long I might get fitted privately depending on the cost.

Finally,

I'm extremely thankful to you guys for your help and hope that others can learn from my experience.
Last edited by DTee on Wed 30 May 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Wed 30 May 2007 7:55 pm

I cant believe you dropped the lens after all that! I am so paranoid about doing that I will only put my lenses in whilst sat at the kitchen table!
have a hug ((( )))

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Wed 30 May 2007 8:04 pm

Hi Dee

At the worst possible time , just when you think nothing else can go wrong...........it usually does :roll:

You are not the first to lose a lens down the sink, i have done that more than once.......yep it took me twice to learn my lesson :oops:

Really hope it doesnt affect the outcome of your exams , i know this is a crucial time and the last thing you need right now is problems with your eyes.

good luck

Mike
onwards and upwards

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 30 May 2007 9:26 pm

Dropping lens in the sink and it going down plug hole or becoming chipped is quite common but easy to avoid.

When putting lenses in, taking them out or cleaning them do it over a towel.

Lens drops out and is caught on soft towel, fluff easy to clean off, lens does not bounce onto dirty floor or hard surface and get chipped.

Take lens out over towel, if it drops out then caught on soft towel, going to clean lens anyway so lost lens or chipped lens avoided.

Place plug in plug hole and towel over the sink making a small depression over the sink. Clean lens and if it drops, it is again on a soft towel and the depression stops lens rolling off. Towel is soft so avoid chipping the lens.

I laways have a small case (was actually for a small folding umbrella) has spare solutions, lens case, plunger and tissues and this is all wrapped in a towel. Hand if you neeed to use public toilets that are dirty and often have no plug for the sink. A make shift clean surface is readily made for all lens care. My lenses are tinted blue so I have a white towel so I can easily find my lenses again.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”