hayfever!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

hayfever!

Postby donna » Sat 07 Apr 2007 9:54 pm

My eyes have been very itchy and sore all week. along with all the other symptoms of hayfever, I get it every year and some years are worse than others. I did get some relief last year by eating local honey but that hasnt had much effect yet this year.
I have an appointment at the hospital 1st May, how do you cope with lenses and hayfever? My eyes are so sore I cant imagine putting a lens in right now :cry:

Elizabeth R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

hello

Postby Elizabeth R » Sat 07 Apr 2007 11:30 pm

i can cope with lenses and hay fever.i get really stress.my hay fever is a nigthmare.

Val G
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Val G » Sun 08 Apr 2007 8:23 am

I got some 'hayfever blend' oil, for my oil burner. This makes the room smell lovely and takes the 'edge' off my hayfever. I found it especially good to have on in the bedroom for a while before bed.

Christine Wallis
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Christine Wallis » Sun 08 Apr 2007 9:12 am

I've been suffering this weekend - I think it's the earliest in the year that i've ever been struck down.

I have to say Piriton's the best for me - fabulous and quick acting, it does make some people drowsy though, so I just take one at night and this gives me 24 hours symptom free.

(totally un-PC, I've had Piriton on prescription for years, and there was about a 5 year spell when I just didn't need them, I went to see my GP for an annual asthma check - I told him my hay fever had been cured - he said it was because I'd started smoking, and smoking is apparantly the best 'cure' for hay fever because it desensitises the nose - effective but NOT recoomended !!)

Chris xx

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sun 08 Apr 2007 12:15 pm

There's also the one-a-day non-drowsy antihistamines available over the counter and on prescription.

'Opticrom' eye drops are for hayfever and can be obtained over the counter, I've used that during periods of high pollen counts. I try to use it more at night after I've taken the lens out.
A preservative free version can be obtained on prescription.

I find the following helps;

keep your windows closed, that keeps the pollen out.

Wash your hands before touching your face.

I keep a bottle of hypromellose [over the counter and on prescription] in the fridge. I then flush out the eyes well am and pm and when they start to feel itchy, preperably before rubbing. The cool fluid helps to calm the itchiness.

I keep those gel eyepad things [Boots] in the fridge and lie down with those on my eyes after flushing, again, to cool it all down.
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Sun 08 Apr 2007 1:27 pm

There are, as Louise says, many non-drowsy preparations over the counter for hayfever. As well as opticrom drops, Otrivine Antistin Eye Drops are also VERY good if you get a really bad swollen eye hayfever reaction.

I used to have hayfever alot - seems to have gone down since I moved by the sea! But all of these preparations were really useful in keeping me in lens wear at the time and does the same for many of my patients. Its just finding the right combination that suits you.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 08 Apr 2007 1:42 pm

My worst reaction usually comes in may with all the Oilseed Rape flower pollen :cry:

Itchy watery eyes are unpleasant enough when you can give your eyes a decent rub, but two grafts and an impland down the road, I am afraid even to touch my eyelids. I thjink it will be the Otrivine Antistin Eye Drops for me!
Andrew MacLean

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Sun 08 Apr 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I have had hayfever for years now but the main thing now is minimizing the irritation to my eyes.
I will make a list of everything suggested and ask my gp for a prescription so I can try them out.
Not even got my lenses yet and am panicking!
:roll:

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 08 Apr 2007 2:47 pm

Well, whatever you do: Image
Andrew MacLean

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sun 08 Apr 2007 2:58 pm

The other thing I've done over the years is to kind of 'train' myself to not rub, well at least whilst I'm awake.
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”