wearing make-up after graft?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

wearing make-up after graft?

Postby lou » Sat 07 Apr 2007 7:27 pm

Hi All

2 weeks after my graft ive got a wedding to go to and just wondered if i would be able to wear make-up?

It might sound silly but when i havent got my eyes in (i call my lenses my eyes) i dont wear make-up (for obvious reasons) and im not that bothered because i think if i cant see them they cant see me but when i go to my friends wedding i will be wearing my left eye and i would feel so much better if i have my slap on.

I know this might sound a little blonde fellas but im sure the ladies know where im coming from :)

Luv

Emma xxx

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Sat 07 Apr 2007 8:11 pm

Emma
Can't advise you re following a graft, but if it helps I was told no eye make up for 6 weeks after my cataract op.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Trouble is, eye make up is full of such fine particles it would be very easy to get it in your eye. Even today, I managed to get some eyeshadow on my soft contact lens - haven't a clue how - and it took me ages & loads of solution to finally get rid of it.

So, from one girlie to another - I think if I were in your shoes I'd play it safe & go without.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Sat 07 Apr 2007 8:49 pm

hi Emma
i had my graft done in november and only wore eye make up 3 weeks ago and it irritated the hell out of my eye and it wasnt cheap make up either lol. It could just be me tho lol... I also wore eye make up tonight and still with the same results i didnt have any advice about wearing make up and you could be fine but i would say dont over do it and just be carefull if you are going to wear it. And being so soon after the graft if your eyes are watering and maybe even itchy make up will smudge and maybe even run which wont look that good lol and the eye could still be tender and as you cant rub it it may be hard to remove the make up.. so yes i think i would avoid make up and just have a fantastic colour lipstick so no one will notice your eyes lol
oh and if your really daring you could just wear make up on the ungrafted eye lol .... you never know you could set off a new trend 8)
nicola

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sun 08 Apr 2007 12:06 pm

Hi Emma, I'm a make-up girl too and have grafts in both eyes. Noone ever told me to not wear it after grafting and they saw me in clinic wearing it, noone ever commented.
Using good stuff helps, I use a waterproof mascara [Lancome] and remover. Initially I just used it on the tips of the lashes not all the way down to the eyelid edges. Then for removing it, I rested the lashes on my finger and 'rolled' it off with a cotton bud dipped in the remover. Then use a wet cotton pad to gently wipe around the eye any excess. Lastly, [I do this all the time], I always flush the eyes out with hypromellose [artificial tear drops] at night, to ensure no residue is left. I've had grafts for 22 years, and lens for over 25 years, and not once have I ever had an infection.
The only advice I was ever given as a teenager [which I followed] was not to put eye pencil on the inside rim of the eyelid because that's no skin.

If you want to play it safe with this wedding, either apply a light base, nice lippy and leave it at that, or, use some light pencil around the edges of the eye and light covering of shadow on the lids if mascara feels too dodgy.
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sun 08 Apr 2007 12:07 pm

ps, I refer to my lenses as 'my eyes' too! Probably because I feel blind without it

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 08 Apr 2007 1:50 pm

I am also guilty of having spoken of my lenses as my eyes: eyes in, eyes out!

As to make up, I defer to Louise and others who are wiser than I. :D

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sun 08 Apr 2007 2:57 pm

Oh go on Andrew, I'll do your make-up for you!

lou
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby lou » Sun 08 Apr 2007 5:48 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the advice i will check with the hospital first just to be on the safe side.

Louise- thanks for the tips i only wear a base foundation and powder/blusher and not forgetting the lippy. I have found over the years when i wear eye shadow and mascarra my eyes flare up so i tend not to bother.

'My Eyes'..... i find it really funny when im out with friends/family and i say im just going to change my eyes if people around hear they look really puzzled :lol:

also anyone had a staring (is that how you spell it) competition when wearing lenses?

i always win :D

Luv

Emma xxx

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sun 08 Apr 2007 5:56 pm

yeah me too, I just imagine my chin is on the slit lamp and stare for England

Return to “General Discussion Forum”