Fed up - Where have I heard that before?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Fed up - Where have I heard that before?

Postby Michael P » Tue 03 Apr 2007 9:47 am

Having been without one or both lenses since mid-January I was disappointed that it took a month and two calls to Moorfields before I eventually received a lens for my right eye.

My disappointment turned more or less to being in agony as soon as I put the lens in. The pain was excruciating but I stuck with it for about an hour and certainly the vision was much improved in that eye. I am not entirely surprised because I did say the trial lens was uncomfortable although I was told it was a good fit.

I have had the lens since last Friday but have now admitted defeat and am going back to MEH next Tuesday to see what can be done.

Both the new lens and my previous one are Rose K2 but the new one for some reason has a radius of 7.00 against 7.20 for the old one.

I have had cataract operations but would not have thought that that should be a reason for a difference in radius but any advice on this would be appreciated.

The power has changed from -11.50 to +4.5 so whilst the old lens is comfortable, I can't see a thing out of it.

Oh well c'est la vie.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Tue 03 Apr 2007 9:57 am

Awww Michael what happened!???!!! This is bad and I would definitely go back and ask them to look at this lens as it doesn't sound good to me.

I wouldn't have thought that the cataracts would have done something but who knows? It could just be that your eye has changed with KC? It really needs looking at especially as your prescription has changed and now you can't see with it!

This is the worse part as it is hard to get back in and get an appointment. Are you going to phone them or just turn up?

Wishing you all the best :D
Sweet X x X

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Tue 03 Apr 2007 10:10 am

Hi Sweet.

I phoned this morning and they have fitted me in for next Tuesday morning.

The old lens was reasonably comfortable and still is but totally useless now. I am puzzled as to why the radius for the new lens has changed and whilst I know nothing about lens fitting, I can only assume this is the reason for the extreme discomfort.

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Tue 03 Apr 2007 10:12 am

Michael,

Brilliant that you have an appointment so soon and not in three months time!! I really hope that they can sort this out for you. Can you see anything at the minute?

Wishing you all the best with this, do let us know how you get on!! Thanks! Take care :D
Sweet X x X

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Tue 03 Apr 2007 10:23 am

Well Sweet, I can't drive or play golf but I have no problem getting out and about.

Night time vision is scary though; It is ok in the dark but with street lights and car headlights it becomes very difficult and I am sure most KC'ers are familiar with this problem.

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Tue 03 Apr 2007 10:25 am

Hoping that they can sort this out for you soon then. I find night time driving harder but only because of the car headlights coming towards me!! LOL!! If the roads were empty I would have no problems at all!!! :wink: :D
Sweet X x X

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Tue 03 Apr 2007 11:00 am

Nichael
So sorry to hear this - I know how fed up you were with just waiting for this lens - must be such a disappointment for you. Especially with Easter and the opportunity to play lots of golf!

I can't help wondering if it might be something to do with the cataract. Why or what I don't know. What happens to the eye at the point where the incision was made? Does that leave a weak point? I don't know the answers at all but as you know I couldn't get on with my rgp's as all, although the second one was much more comfortable at the time of fitting at Moorfields than the first. But my lens is an 11mm diameter (did you mean diameter or radius?) I think - that's quite a bit bigger than yours if you meant diameter? My soft lenses are 14mm diameter.

I do hope yuo get things sorted out next week - let us know how you get on!
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 03 Apr 2007 11:11 am

C'est la vie? Oui, c'est vrai. Mais ce n'est pas la guerre!

Sorry Michael. Stay with it, my friend. One day, perhaps, they will crack the problem of fitting KC eyes and get it right every time, but in the meantime we struggle on.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Tue 03 Apr 2007 11:28 am

Andrew, the diameter of the lens is 8.70.

I can live with my situation and it really is only a very minor setback in the scheme of things. Whilst it may sound like it, I am really not complaining and indeed have little cause to do so.

However, I would love to know whether a straightforward cataract procedure could necessitate a change in the radius measurement of the new lens.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 03 Apr 2007 11:32 am

Michael,

The KC may have changed due to the scar from the insision to get to the cataract. I have heard from many who have had hydrops where the cone is flatter post hydrops and better unaided vision as a result. This might be where the larger lens comes from as it is flatter, so rather than looking at radius you measured the up and over hill type distance with the lens flat. The two distance may be the same.

The power change too is probably to do with the cataract op as well as the KC.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”