Fed up - Where have I heard that before?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Thu 12 Apr 2007 1:36 pm

James
That is appalling! What do they expect you to do in the meantime? You have my sympathy.

I have twice now pushed Moorfields for an earlier appontment at the Contact Lens clinic and they have managed to fit me in. Presumably you are a patient of Moorfields now (wasn't absolutely clear from your post) and it is the CL clinic (rather than the main clinic) that can't offer you an earlier appointment?

I'd keep pushing - or your only other option is to go private....

Let us know how you get on.
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby Michael P » Fri 13 Apr 2007 5:05 pm

James

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

I am assuming you are now under Moorfields care and I think you have said they have your prescription although I believe I am right in saying they did not prescribe the lens.

Certainly when I had a problem with a lens they ordered MEH have fitted me in reasonably quickly.

I will pm you a suggestion.

James Colclough
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby James Colclough » Sat 14 Apr 2007 11:31 am

The problem was or is the right lens was issued by kingston, Moorfields will not issue they say they do not have the prescription,

I now have an appointment on Friday.

Thanks Anne & Michael for PM.

I tried private many years ago sent me back to the eye hospital, coz they did were unable to produce as good a lens. Although the NHS is naff on speed when it works it works.

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Wed 23 May 2007 4:28 pm

I had to go to the A&E Dept. at MEH this morning because my 4th right lens is killing me. I was referred to the Contact Lens Dept and I am now waiting for my 5th lens.

This will be smaller in size and will give me reduced vision with ghosting. The previous lenses, whilst giving me good vision simply did not fit so I had a choice of agony with good vision or reduced vision with comfort; no contest there!

I am also having a similar problem with my left lens, although not so severe and whilst I have been told on several occasions that the fit for the left lens is good, albeit a little flat, I may end up having a similar choice to make.

I think I must have been a little naive to think my cataract operations would be the end of my problems.

Oh well, I guess I will have to persevere.

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Wed 23 May 2007 4:58 pm

Michael
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. My local optician wasn't at all surprised to hear I had difficulty with comfort of RGP's - apparently not only is age a factor (sorry! :lol: ) but he reckons that the cataract surgery could have something to do with it too - he says that your eyes (and mine!) will be more sensitive to foreign bodies....

Thought about trying piggy -backing......? The ghosting is what drives me mad and stops me doing so many of the things I used to be able to do, and I certainly find this greatly reduced with the piggy back lens - with of course glasses on top for reading!

Hope you get things sorted, and soon - but do let me know if you're ending up at the CL clinic on 1st June - I'll buy you a pint afterwards - and you can see if your aim is better than last time! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Elizabeth R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Elizabeth R » Wed 23 May 2007 8:47 pm

michael i never go to A&E Dept.i allways go to contact Dept. 8)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 23 May 2007 9:17 pm

Michael,

Pat has suggested what I was going to suggest.

By now a good fit should be there, ask about piggy back if lens 5 does not give the desired comfort.

I know for many years post graft my corneas were sensitive to anything getting in my eye. 20 years on it is not quite so bad, but I am sure you do not want to wait that long to have a comfortable lens.
Gareth

Michael P
Champion
Champion

Postby Michael P » Thu 24 May 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks for that Gareth and Pat.

Elizabeth, I had to go via the A&A Dept because that was the route into the Contact Lens dept; no immediate appointments were available.

I am pretty sure that the new right lens will be comfortable but at the expense of 2 lines on the Snellen chart plus the ghosting.

However, it was mentioned i have a lot of astigmatism and wearing glasses on top could help. I will investigate this.

Piggybacking has been suggested as a possible way to resolve the discomfort with my left lens to avoid contact with the cornea but again this would involve probable reduced vision.

I agree, I now find the slightest speck of dust in my eyes is like having a mountain in them!
I am also finding that i need to wear my sunglasses even when the weather is overcast. I was so light sensitive a few weeks ago that I had to have a bath with the light off :lol: .

I am sure I will find a compromise to the problem.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 24 May 2007 5:58 pm

Michael,

I was told lens were best for me in 2004, but that would make me legal to drive and 6/6 was out the question!

Three years on and the smae lenses I still gett 6/6 or better.

Try it and you may surprise yourself and the optoms.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”