Snellen Chart

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

AlexMorgan
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Snellen Chart

Postby AlexMorgan » Fri 30 Mar 2007 9:43 pm

I was diagnosed with KC in August 2006 and was recently fitted with my first lens. My optician who fitted the lens was suprised by how poor my vision was even with my lens and the best she can get on a Snellen chart is the second line (from the top).

I was wondering how good other people's vision is with a lens compared to this especially those who have had KC for a long time.

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Fri 30 Mar 2007 9:56 pm

hi alex
welcome to the forum, glad you have found us

you dont say how old you are or where your lens has been fitted for you.

are you at a high street optoms or clinic/hospital.

i presume you have been fitted with rgp's

ok KC is very unpredictable and vision results vary from one person to the next.

i personally was diagnosed 22 yrs ago and can read to the second line from the bottom of the snellen chart with my right eye corrected.

i am however now lens intolerant in my left and cant read the chart at all even if you hit me with it :lol: and am currently awaiting a graft, however this has been a long and gradual deterioration over the years .
however , many people never get to the graft stage so dont worry about that.

keep us all posted and i'm sure you will recieve loads of great advice and information from the very experienced and friendly people on this support group forum
once again , welcome

mike
onwards and upwards

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 31 Mar 2007 9:16 am

Alex

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear how bad yoru 'corrected vision' is.

For most of the time that I was able to wear lenses I had driving vision, even if I had only one lens in! when I became unable to continue with lenses I went in one easy step to being legally blind.

Are they going to try anything else. did they say why your sight may be so poor; do you, for example, have staining or scarring of the cornea?

All the best. My own experience was that the discovery of this forum was a major step forward.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

AlexMorgan
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby AlexMorgan » Sat 31 Mar 2007 1:37 pm

I answer to questions of both of you I am 21 (diagnosed at 20). I see a hospital optician at my local high street optician. I am not sure if it is a rgb lens, but I know it is a Kerasoft brand lens.

My vision with my non-KC eye is near perfect so I am just about legal to drive.

The reason given for my vision being so bad is, as I was told, is because I have quite a bit of scarring on the cornea.

I drove today without my lens because I couldn't be bothered to put it in this morning as I was only going out for an hour, but I was shocked how much my vision seems to have deteriorated even with using a lens for a few months. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Sun 01 Apr 2007 5:58 pm

Hi,
With correction i can see top two lines like yourself,and top two with pin hole. However i sort of see double the letters.
I too have a lot of scarring.
Without correction well, i cant even find the chart. Or that silly letter on a card trick where they bring it nearer.
I too am awaiting graft.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”