ARTIFICIAL TEAR DROPS

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Hannah Pye
Contributor
Contributor

ARTIFICIAL TEAR DROPS

Postby Hannah Pye » Mon 22 Nov 2004 12:30 pm

Does anyone recommend the kind of artificial tear drops, with the use of the scleral lens. Alot of drops, seem to say do not use with contact lenses. My eyes are so dry, they are painful. Can someone help on this. Thanks

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 22 Nov 2004 12:47 pm

Hi Hanna,

Susan Mason wears sclerals and she uses Minims; here is the link to the discussion where her post can be found - http://forum.keratoconus-group.org.uk/v ... =5933#5933

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gareth

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Mon 22 Nov 2004 3:31 pm

Hello Hannah

How long have you had your scleral lenses and how do you find them?

I got mine back in May 2003 and after some initial teething problems with insertion and air bubbles things went well apart from the fact that my eyes were rather dry and somewhat sensitive and sometimes I seemed to get little sticky floating bits.

Thinking about it my eyes have probably always been sensitive and I have always been quite prone to sleepy sticky lumps no matter what time of day.

Initially the hospital suggested I should try to flush my eyes out with the serile saline I use with my sclerals before I put them in. This I had already resorted to and was sitting most mornings in the bath pouring a couple of sachets over each eye. I also started to wipe each eye with cotton wool pads to try to remove any debris as I had read somewhere that one of the most important things with scleral lenses was lid hygiene.

The hospital had also given me Minims Artificial Tears and I tend to use them quite often and so get them on prescription along with the saline for my scleral lenses.

Back in April of this year I started to have a few problems as my left eye had changed shape, something I am told can sometimes happen with scleral lens wear. The lens was refitted ad then quite soon afterwards the right one needed to be done. It seemed a bit like getting over one hurdle just to meet another and also during this time my eyes were particularly dry. In the end I resorted to cleaning and storing my scleral lenses wet. It took some time to sort out as no one seems to do it. I posted a message on the board and didn't get any replies so in desperation my husband contacted Innovative Sclerals the manufacturers of the lenses and they made some suggestions.

If you want any more info let me know and I will tell you what I can.

Best wishes Susan

Hannah Pye
Contributor
Contributor

artificial tear drops

Postby Hannah Pye » Mon 22 Nov 2004 4:56 pm

Thank you Garath and Susan for your replies. Susan can you tell me can you get the saline and minims by prescriptions from the GPs, or can you get the minims over the chemist counter?
I have had a few problems with my scleral lens, I only wear one, as I am blind in my left eye. With the problems I am getting it has been suggested that a mold of the eye be taken, goodness how this is to be done. I have also found out just 10 days ago that I have also uvitis, and glaucoma. I dont like any light at all I am very sensitive to this, so go around with dark glasses and a visor. I cant put my lens in till near mid day, as my eye is very sore and dry, then I am fine and can wear it for 4 hours. My vision isnt perfect, but I get on with things, just dont like this dryness its horrid, any other suggestions would be also welcome please. Thanks all

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Susan Mason » Mon 22 Nov 2004 6:49 pm

Hi Hannah

With regards to the Minims Artificial Tears you can get them over the counter at the chemist or on prescription. I can't remember exactly how much we were told they were but I do remember it was cheaper on prescription and my GP prescribes me with 80 at a time (which is 4 boxes). I also get my saline in the same way it is Normasol and the GP prescribes 100 sachets each time (this too is cheaper than over the counter).

I too have a bit of a struggle first thing and have found I need to be up and around for at least 2 hours before I can put my lenses in, if I am taking my little boy to school this mean getting up no later than 6am to make sure I can get the lenses in and even then some mornings are a little fraught. Just recently my husband has been doing the school run so I am a little out of practise with the early morning starts.

It must be really frustrating for you with the issues you have at present.

Which hospital are you at? I have heard a little about taking a cast for a scleral lens however I get the impression not many hospitals still do it. I know some other people on the website have previously said they have had mouls taken, maybe if you post another message titled something like scleral lens fitting - eye moulds, you may get some more responses.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Best wishes

Susan

Hannah Pye
Contributor
Contributor

Tear Drops

Postby Hannah Pye » Mon 22 Nov 2004 10:59 pm

Thank you Susan for that information, I will be in touch .

Hannah Pye
Contributor
Contributor

Tear Drops

Postby Hannah Pye » Mon 22 Nov 2004 11:01 pm

Susan forgot to mention, I visit Moorfields

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Susan Mason » Tue 23 Nov 2004 12:25 pm

Hannah

Great, Moorfields seem to be very interested in KC.

My sclerals lens fittings have only been possible due to Ken Pullum and courses that he has offered to others in his field of work. Luckily for me the chap I see attended and also has an interest although he is still very young so maybe does not have the benefit of experience.

best wishes

Susan

Return to “General Discussion Forum”