Next New Member

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Greig Stewart

Next New Member

Postby Greig Stewart » Sat 06 Nov 2004 8:50 pm

Folks, Hello - Im the latest member.

Im 35 going on 36 and stay in Livingston. West Lothian. I work in Edinburgh in one of the many insurance offices.

Ive had keratoconus in both eyes for over 13 years. I can still manage to get by with glasses but Ive also got hard contact lenses that I put in @ times. Ive only got the lens for my right eye - my left eye is quite scarred which means the vision isnt that good & a lens wont help.

This discussion forum is very helpful as @ times I feel that Im the only person with keratoconics and it gets you down. Now I can discuss my condition with people who shares the problem.

I know its my first post but can I ask a question?. My eyes get very sore, tired and dry. Does anyone know of the best eye drops that I can use to soothe them.

Thanks in advance.

Greig.

Paul Morgan
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

latest new member

Postby Paul Morgan » Sun 07 Nov 2004 1:14 pm

Greig

Hello there. Sounds like you and I are similar beings. We're much the same age, have had KC for a similar period, and both work in offices. Afraid to say it sounds like yours has progressed more rapidly than mine though. Main difference would seem to be that your up in West Lothian and I'm in Somerset.

That said I do get the (very) sore tired eyes, but never dry, infact quite the opposite if anything.

Anyway, good to make your acquaintance and would be pleased to keep in touch.

I know exactly what you mean by feeling like you are the only KC sufferer in the world. Most people have never heard of it, and explaining it is incredibly hard on most occasions I find. Most people think you've just got dodgy eyesight whereas we know it can be a lot more serious than that, and that does worry you (well me anyway). So keep in touch.

Hope someone answers your query.

Cheers

Paul M

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Mon 08 Nov 2004 10:35 pm

Hello

Dry eyes do seem to be a problem for quite a few people. Have you tried 'Minims Artificial Tears'? They can be used at any time, with or without lenses an come in hany little single vials. I THINK they are preservative free and don't seem to contain anything too nasty. I think they may be a little on the expensive side if bought over the counter however I get mine on prescription and would expect any GP would do the same for someone with KC or eye related problems.

At night I have used 'Lacri-Lube' a preservative free eye ointment made by Allergan, you can get it over the counter. Not any use with lenses in as it makes your eye go all blurry for a while and a little greasy however, seems to work really well and if you wear glasses may be manageable one eye at a time, dependant upon what you are doing!

Hope this helps - you could search for other posts on omega 3 & 6 tablets which also may assist however, I don't think this is proven as yet. anything is worth a try though.

Best wishes

Susan

Greig Stewart

Postby Greig Stewart » Tue 09 Nov 2004 1:24 pm

Susan, thanks for the info.

I have used artificial tears before but never Minims version. The next time Im @ my GP Ill ask if you can get it via prescription.

Ive used the Lacri-Lube stuff myself especially @ night. The only downside is that I get all the greasy solution over the pillows - I need to invest in some eyepatches.

Ive heard the claims about Omega 3 & 6 tablets - I think I will give them a try.

Ive just received one of those Postoptics catologues through the door (Ive bought some solutions from them in the past) and they have featured Systan comfort solution. It seems that its new on the market from Alcon. The advertising blurb is 'Systan is designed specifically to treat dry eyes. Suitable for all ages and for use when contact lenses are not being worn'. Has anyone here managed to try this yet?

Cheers

Greig

Return to “General Discussion Forum”