New Glasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

New Glasses

Postby Anne B » Tue 13 Mar 2007 2:37 pm

Question for all

Do you think it would be worth me getting a eye test for some new glasses?

My vision has changed in my grafted eye and the glasses i wear now don't really do anything to correct this eye.
i was thinking maybe just maybe i could get a slight vision improvement if i got new glasses, i just don't want to waste anyones time.
I have made a appointment at my opticians for next Tuesday, but i am having second thought now.

what do you all think?

Anne

Sarah M
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sarah M » Tue 13 Mar 2007 3:08 pm

Anne, if its for ur non-grafted eye - i cant see why you shouldnt get them tested. do u have KC in that eye too?

if it for ur grafted 1, i was told today still very early days ( i was sneaky wanting glasses - so i can go for the sophisticated look :lol: )

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Tue 13 Mar 2007 5:43 pm

I have only ever worn glasses, could never get on with Lenses.
I have KC in my left eye aswell and with glasses i can just read top line of eye chart.
So i was thinking that maybe i could get better correction for the grafted eye as i am wearing my glasses all the time and they don't really do much anymore.

I know what i waffeling on about, (i think :roll: )

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 13 Mar 2007 6:05 pm

I'd say it is always worth while having an eye test; there are no brownie points for having sight that is less good than the best you can achieve at any given time.

All the best; let us know how you get on.

Andrew

ps I go for my post cataract clinic on Thursday, and I hope that they will let me be fitted with a new pair of specs then.

A
Andrew MacLean

Anne B
Champion
Champion

Postby Anne B » Tue 13 Mar 2007 6:11 pm

i will let you know who i get on. The other point is i have had these glasses so long i would love to get some funky new frames :D
Andrew,
Hope all goes well on Thursday, and i hope you get some funky new glasses too.

Anne

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Tue 13 Mar 2007 6:54 pm

I think I had my first glasses about nine months post graft. The only problem is that your prescription is likely to be constantly changing so it comes down to whether the cost is worth the short time the prescription is going to be right. It always comes down to money doesn't it? :roll:

How do you go on choosing frames? Without my prescription I can't see myself clearly enough to know if the frames suit me or not which is incredibly frustrating. My youngest is great at helping me out, but my hubbie and eldest are worse than useless. That said I went for the same frames for the third time running today. :oops: I think I need lessons in how to be adventurous. :lol:
grafts in 1992 and 1996

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:32 pm

I'd say go for it, if you don't the urge is just going to grow.

Just remember to let us all know how you get on. :D

Perhaps in the meantime you could try one of those online glasses fitters where you can see what different lenses look like on you. :D

P.s
All the best with your appointment Andrew. That's you, Mike and Me all having an eye appointment this thursday. :D

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:38 pm

Anne
Can't help on advice about the graft - but if you aren't happy with your current glasses then I'd go for it!

Don't know if it helps, but when I was having trouble a couple of years back getting the right prescription for my specs, my optom was really good and only charged me the cost price for each actual lens (I had 3 in total in as many months) as I'd already paid the normal price for the frames and original lenses. Might be worth asking so that if say in 3 months time your grafted eye vision has changed significantly again, he could just replace that one lens.

Hope you find some funky specs - I'll look forward to seeing you in them!
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 14 Mar 2007 8:52 am

Anne,

Your vision may still be changing so be prepared for the glasses to start fine and then not be too good in the future.

That balanced about helping you enjoy things better you have nothing to loose by seeing how you get on with glasses.

I hope to get mine soon after being told 3 years ago, glasses were no longer of use, but high refractive plastic means I can get good vision with them again we hope. Cost me nearly £200 for lenses alone so using old frames.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”