I need some one to tell me <you can do it>

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

I need some one to tell me <you can do it>

Postby eman samir » Sat 10 Mar 2007 9:54 pm

hi every one.i am always asking my self <can i do it????????>i will get married soon and i will travel with my husband.i will be away from my family.i am 22 years old and still study.my KC is very progressed in my left eye.i can't see with it alone that i depend completely on my right eye.i have experienced rgp lenses but i have realized that i am rgp intolerant.i can't stand wearing them more than 2 hours so i am wearing glasses the rest of my day.but the vision with it is so poor.all i wanna know is <can i be a successful wife?can i work?can i depend on my self completely?you know every body of my family here helps me in a special way due to my limited vision and i am afraid i am get used to that.i really need some one to tell me YOU CAN DO IT.
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 11 Mar 2007 8:11 am

Eman,

People with perfectly good sight have exactly the same fears before getting married, I know my wife did and she still asks me 'Is she a good wife?'

Frankly the only way to know is give it a go.

There are people who are completly blind and their sight can not be helped like ours and they make perfectly good husbands wives, have very good jobs, basically everything you question.

The human race is remarkably adaptable and if you have trouble working out how best to do something for yourself, just put the question here. I did that and these guys got me back in to the work place and even without lenses making me legally blind I can do prtetty much everything I used to with only minor adaptations.

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT; GO DO IT!
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 11 Mar 2007 8:59 am

Eman

I do not know whether your husband-to-be has ever looked at this website, but it may be a good idea at least to print off the leaflets that are available here.

You say that yu expect to travel when you are married. do you have any idea where you will go? It might be a good diea just to check out the ophthalmological services in the places you expect to visit.

I am sure that "you can do it!"

Gareth is right; pre-marriage nervousness is part of the human condition :D I have lost count of the men who have sat in my vestry prior to their marriage, and wept.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Sun 11 Mar 2007 10:14 am

I work with a couple who are blind, there is no options for them , they are blind and thats it.
They are married, both work and have just had a baby. They only have support from us for 6 hours a week and a support worker to enable them to work, thay also have guide dogs.
You can do it!

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Mon 12 Mar 2007 3:53 pm

Eman,

You CAN do it!!!! :D

I only have vision in one eye as well but i do get on with my life and work. Take one day at a time and enjoy yourself! I am more than sure that you will be a fantastic wife!!!

Good luck!
Sweet X x X

kerrie phillips
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby kerrie phillips » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:30 am

YOU CAN DO IT !!!!
from what i have read on this site we are all doing.
everyone is managing to work and run a family and home.
I am studying to i go to college 38 hours some weeks and the hospital for 38 hours other weeks as well a s study at home.
Just make sure those teaching know the situation, i get handouts now instead of having to sit on top of the screens !! so i can read them at my pace in my time and follow the lecture.
There are good times and times when you feel tired and grumpy, but then thats normal for everyone KC or no KC.!!!
You will be a wonderful wife, just like you are a wonderful fiancee. As long as your partner has seen the info and understands the situation he will be able to fully understand and support you.
I am unable to tolerate rgp's also. i am waiting for some new glasses which are costly especially as i only had new ones in august !
You will be ok and YES you can do it

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Tue 13 Mar 2007 8:12 pm

You can do it Eman! :D

If I can anyone can.

The running joke coming up to my wedding day was that my sight was so bad I wouldn't know if I was marrying the right man or not. :D Thankfully I did, and I went on to hold down a job, run a household and have two children before my first graft. Looking back heaven knows how I managed, but the thing was I did. Things were far from perfect - the house was incredibly dirty as I couldn't see dust and my husband would happily live up to his eyes in dust before he did anything about it :roll: but at the end of the day do things like that really matter?

I would get incredibly frustrated by my poor sight, and sometimes feel very hurt and angry at my hubbie when he didn't give me as much help and support as I would have liked - for instance he was useless at actually guiding me. I was far more likely to successfully negotiate unfamiliar steps by myself than by relying on him :roll: which I found very upsetting, but it made me self reliant which in the long run gave me a lot more confidence. I eventually came to see his virtual ignoring of my KC as doing me a favour but it made me feel very lonely with my problems at times. But anyway, this isn't about me, it's about you. :D Get out there and live your life to the full. You can do it! :D
grafts in 1992 and 1996

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:07 pm

hi im now partially sighted for the time being (ever optimistic)
I am raising 5 children and 36 weeks pregnant.
I still cook etc Not easily but i still do it and im a good almost wife. Cos there is more to being a wife than that other stuff.I love my other half and show him that in any way i can (behave you lot i mean the way i treat him) even though im rubbish at cleanin

ya can do it cause ya can

Return to “General Discussion Forum”