possible graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 17 Mar 2007 9:09 am

Sorry to hear the news, but sounds like you have a caring team that give you the full facts so any decission you make is an informed one.
Gareth

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

cornea transplant

Postby mike scott » Sun 18 Mar 2007 10:47 pm

had a disturbing thought today

will definately have to explain the pro's and cons to work, following the hospitals view that a rupture or hydrops is highly likely.
i wouldnt want some heroic first aider rushing to my aid with a bit of string and some sticking plaster to try and fix me up should thiese events occur at work :lol:
presumably the first course of action would be to get me to the hospital pretty quickly

tell me, do any of you wear a medi-bracelet or the like? for courses of action and people to contact in emergencies?

comments welcomed and appreciated

mike
onwards and upwards

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 19 Mar 2007 7:15 am

Mike

There has been some discussion on the forum of the merits of the bracelet, but I really do not know how it all paid out.

In the event of a hydrops you would be wide to make your way to the hospital, but not necessarily with "blues and twos".

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 19 Mar 2007 12:34 pm

Mike,

I have a medic alert bracelet and since having it and being prepared for the worst, there has been no need for medical professionals to look at. To me it is my good luck charm, since having it for over 12 months now, not needed to be rushed to hospital and then explain things while in absolute agony and them trying to sedate me at the same time I am trying to get my lens out.

Well worth it, they are a nonm-profit making organisation, probably even a charity.

Medic Alert
Gareth

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby mike scott » Thu 22 Mar 2007 12:32 am

hi gareth
thanks for that info and the link.
after thoroughly checking out the site i have decided that i will definately register with medic alert. i think if nothing else it will give me a lot more peace of mind, esp as i live alone and dont contact my family on a daily basis, so at least if something happened then they would be informed for me as at present they woulnt think it unusual not to hear from me for a few days. so once again thanks for your thoughts and the link.
much appreciated
mike
onwards and upwards

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby mike scott » Mon 26 Mar 2007 6:16 pm

hi everyone
i've been staying very close to the forum since the news of my pending transplant, and have reading everyones experience of post graft sight recovery. at the moment with my left eye , when they say can you start at the top of the chart, its like "what chart, where is it ". i was hoping that eventually , post graft i would be able to get half way down the chart and all would be well, is this possible or do i have to re evaluate my thinking ?

comments please :shock:
mike
onwards and upwards

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 26 Mar 2007 7:52 pm

Mike

I know that none of this comes with a guarantee, but my own experience has been better than fair. With my glasses on I can now see the 6/6 line, whereas before I couldn't see the chart, so that they had to carry it closer to me, and closer, and then a little closer still!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby mike scott » Mon 26 Mar 2007 9:27 pm

hi andrew
thanks for your comment
what i have to keep reminding myself is that like it or not my transplant is now inevitable, wether it be in due scheduled time or because the cornea perforates and it is done as an emergency, and as the consultant has explained , that scenario is very likely :( . either way i cant get round it any more, so whatever the outcome its going to happen anyway, the challenge as always is to discover the best way of living with it, but on the plus side, it aint beat me yet and i will never let it. sometimes the KC trys to rule us but we are still the boss :lol:
mike
onwards and upwards

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Tue 27 Mar 2007 1:13 am

Mike, you'll probably find that whatever you see you'll be happy as there is a good chance it'll be better than what you can see now.

I'm still on reading just the top letter but getting closer to line two. :D

But it's the detail on things that pleases me and the realisation that I now have a much wider vision of view than before.

I'm finding waking up everyday exciting, I know the changes are likely to be slow but it's the possibility of better things that is keeping me ticking over happily.

Saying that, The day after both her grafts Alison managed to see three lines on the chart :shock: :D

It's certainly a target to aim to beat, so much so I'm thinking of asking them to do my other eye. :lol:

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 27 Mar 2007 12:57 pm

Both my grafts were a success, by the 3 tear mark I went a good few years not needing any sight correction. Then another 10 with glasses. Nearly 20 years on I am back on the lenses but have never regretted going for the graft.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”