Hello!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Maria

Hello!

Postby Maria » Thu 08 Mar 2007 8:57 pm

Hi!

Another newbie here! Maria, 21, from Sweden.. I was diagnosed with KC when I was 11. I've had a graft done on my left eye, though my vision is still awful. I recently got a new lens though (a soft perm) which at least gives me acceptable vision. My right is pretty much the same (but no graft), but with a Rose K lens.

As of now I'm fine with everything and I can function properly with the eye sight I have at this moment. But the grass is always greener on the other side... right? or not?

Basically, I really wish to get to know more about how KC is treated and looked upon in other places, as well as how other people have experienced the treatment they've been given. Mainly because I believe that they've majorly f... things up for me in the past, and I'd just like to compare cases to be able to figure out if there's anything I should be asking for that I yet haven't asked for. So yeah.. I'll be observing you!

One more thing.. Are there any other Swedes here?

Sajeev
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Sajeev » Thu 08 Mar 2007 9:18 pm

A warm welcome Maria from Sweden, ...come on down!!

I like your question being used in context to KC

Q: Is the grass greener on the other side?

A: No its just the shade of the fence we are sitting on!! :wink:

I'm not sure if there has been any Swedes posting here, they do pass through i suspect,

Glad you join up, please do write when you get the need to... and we'll write back... its fantastic!!

Best

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Thu 08 Mar 2007 9:33 pm

Sweet hello there and welcome to the site!

I'm originally from Wales but now live in London, England. I was diagnosed at 14 and went for years with one lens until i had a lot of problems with infections and ulcers and had to take time off work. Then i decided to get a graft done in the other eye which has never had sight and i'm awaiting a lens! I can see four lines on a chart with a lens whereas before i couldn't see the chart!!

It is good to be here and get some help and advice. Any questions just let us know!! I'm with the idea though that the grass is never greener on the other side, it's just the way you look at it!!

Take care!
Sweet X x X

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Thu 08 Mar 2007 10:03 pm

Maria

Welcome to the forum!

This place has a wealth of information,knowledge and experience!...as a search will show...but any Q's and Im sure someone will be more than happy to answer.

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 09 Mar 2007 8:37 am

Maria,

Welcome to the forum, we are truly becoming international. We used to have a gentlman from Norway posting here.

As all cases of KC are so different it is hard to say if we have things any better than you.

I think it comes down to the experience of those who are treating you and their willingness to listen to your fears.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 09 Mar 2007 8:43 am

Maria

welcome to the forum. I love Sweden! I used to spend a lot of time in westergoatland, although I also know Stockholm very well.

I was in Sweden when they changed from diriving on the left to driving on the right had side of the road.

I don't know about other people from Sweden in the forum, but it is great to welcome you!

In the UK, I am afraid, the quality of treatment available for people with KC varies according to where they live, with those of us who live in easy commuting distance of big teaching hospitals faring best.

It would have to be admitted that this is not really surprising. KC is relatively rare, and the ophthalmologists and optometrists in the larger centres of population will inevitbly have more experience of patients with the condition.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Maria

Postby Maria » Thu 05 Apr 2007 9:55 am

Thank you all for the welcome, and sorry for being one of those lousy persons who never answer in time.. :) I do believe you're all right about the colour of the grass on the other side, but I had to ask! Just in case..

Andrew - cool! I live in Gothenburg (which is in Västra Götaland), although I've also spent a lot of time in Stockholm.. :)

nicola jayne
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby nicola jayne » Thu 05 Apr 2007 8:43 pm

HIYA
WELCOME TO THE KC SITE
THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE WITH A VAST KNOWLEDGE AND ALL IM SURE WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU AND GIVE YOU GOOD ADVICE ABOUT KC.
WELCOME AGAIN
KIND REGARDS
NICOLA :D

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Thu 05 Apr 2007 10:21 pm

hi and welcome to the family :D

is the grass greener on the other side?

who knows?

i think it depends on how brave you are to step over it , or to be content with what we have. stepping over though can be a journey into unknown territory and with no way back once on the journey ( i am reffering to the road to the dreaded graft)
as has already been pointed out , KC is a very individual condition and a solution for one may not be to another, i think its down to what can be acceptable to each.

this isnt so much advice i realise , but more pointing out the "damacleese sword " that is KC.

once again welcome

mike
onwards and upwards

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Fri 06 Apr 2007 9:15 am

Hi Maria & welcome

Is the grass greener on the other side? In my case - yes - with my left eye it's much brighter and greener than with my right!

(...could just be something to do with my cataract op as I see different shaeds and brightness of coulours with each eye!! :lol: :lol: )
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”