Is initial 8hr limit for RGP's normal?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Is initial 8hr limit for RGP's normal?

Postby GarethB » Fri 15 Oct 2004 1:19 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to get acclimatised to contacts up to eight hours and then not to exceed this for a couple of weeks before going longer?

2 hours the first day, and an extra hour each day upto the 8hr max.

I have RGP lenses, and last time I had them (16 years ago), I gradually built up the time so I wore them like most KC sufferers for 16 hours or more. Got the lenses yesterday just to help my 16 year old grafts and advised not to exceed 8 hours. Go back in six weeks for a check. I would like to be able to wear them for atleast 12 hours, preferably 14 so that I put them in in the morning and can remove them when I get back, about 12 hours.

Weekends I can wear them less as my wife is looking forward to being able to do some of the driving.

Look forward to the advise.

Regards

Gareth

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Fri 15 Oct 2004 1:55 pm

When I was wearing RGP lenses I was certainly wearing them for more than eight hours a day without any problems, I guess it depends how comfortable you find them but if they are a good fit they should allow for enough movement so that they can be worn for more than eight hours without starving your eye of too much oxygen.

Sorry not sure thats too much help but good luck

Sophie

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Sat 16 Oct 2004 4:20 am

Hello Gareth

When I was first fitted for RGP corneals back in July/Aug 2002 initiallially all looked ok and then all of a sudden by Sept/Oct 2002 the hospital were begining to worry (quite a lot it seemed) and disappointingly I ended up being down to a lens in my left eye only and for no more than 4 hours at a time. This as you can imagine was really hard, I couldn't drive and got really frustrated. Personally I felt ok eye wise no apparent signs of pain (although I did go through childbirth on 2 asprins only - before KC was diagnosed I may add, so maybe I a, just odd???)
Now as you are robably aware I am on sclerals and have been since May 2003 when they finally said RGPs were a no no, although mow as you are aware I am again having afew probs fitting wise maybe surgery will be next option who knows. What I do seem to have found though with seeing different pople over the last 2 years is they all seem to have slightly differeny views between tolerance and possible scarring, it really does seem to be a difficult situation. Maybe theyare just treading carefuly with you and at next check up all will be a bit more useful wearing time wise.

All the best, Susan

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 16 Oct 2004 7:45 am

Thanks for the replys, I think you are right, they are treading carefully. Guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

The post graft problem I have is aparently extremely rare, just now I have a family to worry about too. When I was first diagnosed with KC, I was at school with no responsibilities and the grafts were done by the time I went to university, then I had no problems.

I am so glad I fooound this site, everyone is so helpful.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”