Donor Cards

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Donor Cards

Postby Rob Armstrong » Tue 05 Oct 2004 10:20 pm

I've just registered with the NHS Organ Donor Register - http://www.uktransplant.org.uk

As I have benefitted from the Donor Card scheme, (as the recipient of a cornea), I felt it important to reciprocate if anything ever happened to me.

I had been looking for a Donor Card for a while, but despite having asked several times at the hospital, pharmacy etc. I hadn't been able to obtain one.

It turns out it isn't necessary to carry the card (although it helps) - what's more important is to register your details and inform family/loved ones of your wishes.

From the site....

"since 1 April 2004... 840 people have donated corneas... [and] 1,240 people have received the gift of sight."

The site also includes the storys of two recipients of corneas (although not apparently due to KC), including one who went on to meet the family of the donor.

As KC sufferers, our corneas may not be much use to anyone(!) but there is so much more that can be used to save people's lives. Some of the statistics mentioned on the above site only emphasise the seriousness of the situation.

Anyway, I know it's something people don't really like to think about, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Rob.

Sue Ingram
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 06 Oct 2004 8:13 am

Hi Rob, Good for you! I agree with you entirely and have been registered since I was about 18 now (a long time ago!). I have not had a corneal transplant but have always thought that just in case I do need it one day, then I would like to feel I could reciprocate if that time ever came. It is something that people do not like to think/talk about, but I think we all should, as it can save lives. Take care. SUE
SUE :-)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 06 Oct 2004 11:44 am

Since my grafts in 1989, I have had a donour card.

Often wondered if the new corneas I received could actually be used for someone else as those are OK, it is just what is left of the old ones that no-one would want.

till, they can be used for research.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”