My Cornea Transplant + Progress updates.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 02 Mar 2007 8:42 pm

Chris,

Pull the lower eye lid down and away from your nose and it will form a natural well. Put a drop in there and gently let the lid go back against the eye.

Never miss your eye that way and there is no need to flinch.

Practice makes pefect.
Gareth

Sarah M
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Sarah M » Fri 02 Mar 2007 8:46 pm

know everyone different etc, but on average how long is it before they start cutting down eye drops? im still on 4 a day....same since op 3 months ago.

as for putting them in chris - some days its easy, the next i can use half a bottle trying to get one in, but in all fairness it does get easier.

I had to get another stitch put in cause i sprung a leak :lol:

i admire your good spirit, but dont be too hard on yourself and eye - its been through a lot, so a bit of light sensitivity is all good if it means good things in a few months times

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Fri 02 Mar 2007 11:04 pm

I am still using drops 4 times a day. Its the 3 minutes i waste in between drops that gets to me, thats 12 minutes a day :lol:

Anne

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sat 03 Mar 2007 8:10 am

GarethB wrote:Chris,

Pull the lower eye lid down and away from your nose and it will form a natural well. Put a drop in there and gently let the lid go back against the eye.

Never miss your eye that way and there is no need to flinch.

Practice makes pefect.

THanks Gareth, that's great advice, I know that's how the doctor has put them in, but I've always felt a little bit cack handed when lowering the eyelid with one hand and dropping with the other. :lol: But as you say practice makes perfect and the good news is over the next year I'll have plenty of practice. :D

Actually the first drop this morning wasn't too bad. I am obviously beginning to get use to the things. In fact on waking up and feeling a little sore I was actually looking forward to it*. :oops:

*This may be a slight lie. :lol:

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sat 03 Mar 2007 8:23 am

Sarah M wrote:know everyone different etc, but on average how long is it before they start cutting down eye drops? im still on 4 a day....same since op 3 months ago.

as for putting them in chris - some days its easy, the next i can use half a bottle trying to get one in, but in all fairness it does get easier.

I had to get another stitch put in cause i sprung a leak :lol:

i admire your good spirit, but dont be too hard on yourself and eye - its been through a lot, so a bit of light sensitivity is all good if it means good things in a few months times

Sprung a leak :shock: That sounds nasty. I hope you've seen the last of your leaks.

I'll add that to my things to avoid list.
1) Cloudy vision aka rejection
2) Rubbing the eye
3) Springing a leak.

I'm glad you informed me that you're still on 4 drops 3 months on. Not because I want you to be on 4 drops as I know what a pain they are but because it gives me a bit of a reality check. I must admit to believing in my mind that a month or 2 at most I'd be down to just the 2 drops a day.

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sat 03 Mar 2007 8:25 am

Anne Bishop wrote:I am still using drops 4 times a day. Its the 3 minutes i waste in between drops that gets to me, thats 12 minutes a day :lol:

Anne

:lol: :lol:

Oh Anne, I can't wait until I see 3 minutes as precious. I've far too much time on my hands.

In fact I'm thinking of setting up a neighbour read scheme. Be a good neighbour and come read to me, :D

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sat 03 Mar 2007 9:36 am

In the good old days after 3 months I was off the drops altogether, certainly did not go beyond six.

Seem docs prefer to keep the drops going for longer, never seen a reason why.
Gareth

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sat 03 Mar 2007 1:07 pm

Well just had my first successful self administered eyedrop. It took three attempts due to some good defending by my eyelashes but I got there in the eye. :D

My eye is more red today and slightly more watery. It does feel like I have got something stuck in it but I know that is the rubbing of a stitch.

Now onto better news, I'm not so photobic today although my eye only likes to be open for very short periods still. Remember the words of Sarah, it's only day 2 :oops:

The read test....
Pre op I could only read from a book if I had the page pressed up against my face. Today I have noticed I can read with the book about a hands length away from me. :D

Radio 4 is my latest attempt to keep myself occupied. :D

Other than that, I'm rather pleased to have had a PK, I'm certain my sight is better for it and as long as I keep rejection at bay I am predicting a speedy recovery.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 03 Mar 2007 1:31 pm

Chris

That's really good news.

Well done

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Tue 06 Mar 2007 12:50 pm

Update, 5 days post graft. :D

Well not too much has changed here. I'm still struggling to open my grafted eye and attempting to use both eyes together is troublesome at best. I believe my ungrafted eye doesn't like his new friend :lol:

Friends and people I rarely know have been fantastic though as I have been inundated with audio books. :D

There is definately a lack of outside knowledge in relation to KC mind as I constantly hear "it's great that the operation has been done, give it a few days and you'll be back to full health"

Or..

"My nan had a similar operation, she had a catarract removed and you'll find it takes no time to heal"

The best bit of news though was my decision to take a walk at 10pm last night. Wrapped up warm, smartly donning my full wrap around sun glasses 8) I ventured out into a wind swept night. The air felt refreshing but the most delightful aspect was the fact I was able to keep both eyes fully open for the duration of my walk. OK so it was only 20 minutes but I can't understate the pleasure of using two eyes without problems for the first time since my operation. :D

It goes without saying that I shall be making these night time adventures part of my daily routine. :D

Another challenge defeated were the eye drops. Not only does pulling down the eye lid greatly help (thank you) but applying the drops whilst laying down makes the whole experience more comfortable. It's also very easy to get it right. :D

The eye is no longer as red, but the stitches or gritty feeling can irritate at times.

So all in all, things are going well. I'm even getting used to the taste of green tea :D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”