My Cornea Transplant + Progress updates.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Thu 22 Mar 2007 4:30 pm

Sweet wrote:Chris,

Glad to read that you are doing well! Time is a brilliant healer and you will soon forget having a graft done! Hehe I do that quite often now that all the stitches have been removed!!

Wishing you all the best! :D

HI Sweet :D

Thanks, I don't feel the stitches anymore and I doubt I notice if they stayed in. :oops:

How long after your graft was it before they came out or should i say started to come out?

I've just checked and I'm not that far off being able to read 2 lines on the chart.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Thu 22 Mar 2007 5:02 pm

Hehe not that long from what I can remember! I was here shouting because I didn't want my surgeon to take them out!!! HEHEHE!

They didn't all come out at once though and some surgeons do like to take them out a lot sooner. Mine just became loose and I was told that they needed to be removed. I was in pain as well so didn't have much choice!!

Some people do have theirs left in and they don't feel them so hopefully yours will be the same if they were left.
Sweet X x X

mike scott
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby mike scott » Thu 22 Mar 2007 5:45 pm

hi chris
dont chastise yourself for feeling lucky, as i am sure that your road to this point has been as hard for you as for everyone else, so good luck with your ongoing recovery and long may it continue :lol: .
a piece of advice my grandad once gave me, was to eat when hungry, sleep when tired and to rest corneal transplant when you need to 8)

dont rush yourself into going back to work too soon either, they dont give you any gold medals for damaging your precious health
mike
onwards and upwards

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sun 29 Apr 2007 12:46 am

Thanks Mike.

Wise words from your Grandad. :D He'd be pleased to know I've been following his advice closely recently.

Well it's update time as I've had my latest check up, 6 weeks since the last. Time certainly does fly by and my graft is now becoming a distant memory. Or put it another way I'm clearly getting older and forgetting things much more rapidly. :oops:

My graft is looking good, I don't need to return until another 2 months and during that time I am to lower my drops firstly to 3 times a day and then after a month to just the two.
Thankfully there has been no signs of rejection or any problems bar the occassional slight ache.

Vision wise, I still only see the top line unaided but with pinholes can now read 6 lines down. That's another big improvement on the 4 lines 6 weeks ago and zero before the graft.

I do have some astigmation and also found out I had a continuous stitch. There was a discussion on attempting to tighten it but due to risk of it snapping and me being back to day 1 we've decided to leave it and see how it settles. Judging by my rather smooth recovery to date, it's probably for the best.

So all in all, a productive check up and things continue to go well. I'm certainly using my grafted eye more and am much more comfortable day to day than before the operation.

I must say it really helps having a good doctor and surprisingly enough I rather look forward to my appointments.That's something i never thought would happen at the start of this long journey. :lol:

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 29 Apr 2007 8:01 am

That really is good news, Chris.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Sarah M
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Sarah M » Sun 29 Apr 2007 2:01 pm

Excellent news Chris :evil:

You know i'm only jokering, I am really happy for u, well done.

:D Sarah
x

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sun 29 Apr 2007 5:33 pm

Chris

That 6 line pinhole is excellent news! Shows the potential vision you can get aided! I wouldnt knock that out of bed! As you probably know :-)

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Sun 29 Apr 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks Andrew. :D

:lol: Sarah, my eye is still not looking beautiful :lol:

Jay, I was pleasantly surprised when I read 6 lines. I had been checking my eye chart once a week and as I still couldn't quite make out the second line unaided I wasn't really expecting to see so much. :D

Jack Maitland
Contributor
Contributor

Pinhole vision

Postby Jack Maitland » Mon 30 Apr 2007 3:19 pm

Is that right that you should be able to get the same vision with lenses that you can get with the pinhole? Never seems to work that way with me. Always spend ages scratching around trying to read a few lines all of which float in and out of focus, have multiple images and sometimes disappear and reappear. Then at the end you look through the pinholes and everything becomes sharp and clear. Never seem to get anywhere near with lenses though :(
Jack
Jack

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 30 Apr 2007 3:38 pm

Jack,

It is a general rule of thumb, but some of us are the exceptions to that.

I see far better with lenses than the piholes suggest.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”