PK Graft 10 Years On

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

bigmac72

PK Graft 10 Years On

Postby bigmac72 » Mon 04 Oct 2004 2:21 pm

Hello to all of you from Australia! When I had my graft operation in my right eye the internet was still a fledgling research tool. 12 years ago I was diagnosed with KC; a condition that I had developed much earlier but as it was gradual I thought it was normal until a regular checkup for a spectacle prescription highlighted the problem. Strangely enough my vision deteriorated very rapidly in this eye after diagnosis. Hence the suggestion for a PK operation. I was 21.

It might seem that I'm one of the lucky ones. No complications except a broken suture that was very uncomfortable as it was scratching the inside of my eye lid. This happened 10 months after surgery. I took myself to an emergency department and had the suture pulled and snipped so that it no longer protruded out of the eye. The next week my surgeon and I decided to remove all the sutures. My graft remains clear and I can achieve excellent vision with spectacle correction only. I have a slight astigmatism.

So 10 years on last week I was diagnosed with mild KC in my left eye. Bummer. I've just had a fitting and received my first RGP contact lens. Of course still adapting to the new lens but hoping that my vision will improve noticeably. Wait and see I guess.

Good luck to all of you.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”