Studying with KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sallyuk
Contributor
Contributor

Studying with KC

Postby Sallyuk » Wed 29 Sep 2004 10:46 pm

Hi! :) Can anyone give me advise about minimising the discomfort whilst reading or using the computer. I am a mature student one third of the way through a 3 year course. Although I have only recently been diagnosed with KC I have been aware of the symptoms for at least 15 years! My studies require a lot of research through reading and computer work and I find it is killing my eyes. I should point out here that I have not as yet been given corrective lenses and am still having to plod on with my glasses, which means I spend a lot of time squinting! :roll: Is there a good setting on the computer which would minimise the glare - like specific colour of text or background, font size etc? As for reading or computer work I often find myself feeling very nauseous after about an hour. Can anyone relate to that?
I am having to wait four months just to see the opthamologist and have read that it can take time not only to find the right lens but also time to adjust to them. I feel very desperate as I need help now. :cry:
Hope someone out there can give me boost. :wink:

Sally

polly

Postby polly » Thu 30 Sep 2004 8:23 am

Ah the nausea. I used to get travel sick for years (in cars, buses and sometimes when walking) but since I was diagnosed with KC I've found the contacts cure it. Unfortunately, unless I'm driving, I usually wear my glasses when travelling or walking! However, I recently got hold of a pair of pinhole lenses (i.e. without frames) and fitted them into a pair of old fit-over sunglasses (not clips-ons - the ones from Boots that expand width-ways). Although they're not in any way as good as contacts and the visions a bit odd, when worn over glasses they do make a second best, giving better vision than with just glasses when contact-less, and cure my nausea. I can't remember the site I got them from, but searching on cataracts and pinhole glasses should take you there.

PC-wise, you may find that using a white bold font on a dark background helps, as do sunglasses. Everyone will think you're either weird or a hypochondriac but at least you'll be more comfortable.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”