Operation Date set

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Operation Date set

Postby Richard In Wales » Mon 27 Sep 2004 12:47 pm

I go under the knife on the 6th October now, and to be honest I'm shitting it :( I know its not a rational response and I'm in a lot of pain and should be looking forward to getting it sorted but for some strange reason I'm scared. I even had a bad dream last night of some ward sister running around the hospital chasing me with a huge syringe trying to inject me, I woke up all scared and I didn't even have the date then.

I suppose its a logical fear to have but I've never been scared of anything before

So if anyone else if having it done and are worried remember if a 6 foot 2 tattooed biker can be nervous then so can you. I'm not ashamed of being scared and wanted to post this in the hope that if anyone else is nervous you are not alone. Also if I can't say this here then where can I say it, after all it is a group for support and help :)

I'm off to see of I can find someone to talk to about it, no point bottleing it all up and making myself worse.

Thanks
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Rob Armstrong » Mon 27 Sep 2004 9:33 pm

Don't worry Dave, they put a catheter (I think that's right) in your arm as you go into theatre - so no nurses with big syringes!

They also stick pads on your chest to wire up to the monitors etc - I commented how they'd leave baldy circles on my chest, they said not to worry - they whip them off before you come around!

Seriously though, I remember being increasingly nervous as the day approached (my graft was my first operation), but on the actual day I was surprisingly calm about it all.

Good luck!

Rob.

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Mon 27 Sep 2004 9:43 pm

Thanks, the thing is I used to be a nurse and been in the Army faced many a strange thing without batting an eye lid, I guess its just age and the pain and feeling low through lack of sleep etc. I know there not rational fears and all will be fine just thought I'd get it off my chest and also let other people know theres nothing wrong with voicing their fears here.

After all the best place to be if anything goes wrong is surrounded by Doctors
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Return to “General Discussion Forum”