Hydrops advice..please

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hydrops advice..please

Postby Sophie Bull » Fri 17 Sep 2004 8:33 am

Hi all,
Well things seem to be going down hill for me at the moment and im looking for some advice. I developed hydrops in my right eye on monday, was down in devon working on an organic farm in the middle of nowhere so after speaking to my consultant I left it a few days and carried on working but came home yesterday and went to Bristol eye casualty. They were pretty unhelpful really but have given me some drops and stuff that makes your pupil bigger and some lubricant. However it really has not helped, i did only start using them yesterday, but today it is more painful and putting the drops in really hurts. They advised me to visit my actual consultant up in sheffield by next friday. I was hoping not to go back to university untill the end of next week but at the moment its causing me pain. Does anyone have any advice? Should i head back up to sheffield sooner than planned and try and see my consultant..stop using the drops...or just ride it out for a bit and see how it goes?

Any advice would be really great
Thanks
Sophie

Caroline
Contributor
Contributor

Hydrops

Postby Caroline » Sat 18 Sep 2004 12:57 pm

The pain will pass but can't say when!! i would advise you to see your consultant as soon as possible, especially if you are in pain and due back at university. Although you have been to eye casualty they are often very busy and have limited time and you can have a proper chat with your consultant who will know your eyes. You may also find that even when the hydrops clears it may leave some scarring, which could affect your vision. No need to panic! , but I always think it is best to get an appointment to talk things through and also tell you the best course of action should it happen again. Good Luck and hope it clears up soon.
Caroline

J Owen
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J Owen » Sun 19 Sep 2004 11:45 am

I doubt your consultant can do more to help. I had my first hydrop the other week. The Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham told me to come back in 2months. The consultant just said to use the drops twice daily now, not three times a day.

Another point to mention is caffeine. I really try not to drink too much coffee however a week before my first hydrop I drank copious amounts of strong black coffee (a lot of work and study on the mind). And the following week this hydrop springs up!

The diuretic effects of caffeine can somewhat dry the corneal surface making it more susceptible to tearing (hydrop).

In my opinion there is a direct correlation with caffeine and dry eyes etc. I have noticed dry eyes also with diet coke. People have tried to link that with aspartame etc. I dont believe it, I also get the same effects when I use to take sports supplements with terribly high amounts of caffeine and white willow bark.

Just look after yourself and good luck with study, I stupidly dropped out of university about 5 yrs ago. The keratoconus was diagnosed in my first year in politics and my brain shut down! hahaha OÂ’well , my punishment for slacking is now the civil service......

Will sunglasses not help you with the photosensitivity caused by the drops. I use the oakley iridium lenses that cut out other light wavelengths and help with shadowing blah blah blah. I sound like a salesman eeeeee yuk.

Just look after yourself and good luck with study, I stupidly dropped out of university about 5 yrs ago. The keratoconus was diagnosed in my first year in politics and my brain shut down! hahaha OÂ’well , my punishment for slacking is now the civil service......

I am waffling, its a lazy sunday, must get out........

Byeeeeeeeeeeee

veloceptor@hotmail.com
PaiN Is TemPorArY, qUiTTing lAsts foR eVeR - Lance Armstrong.

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Mon 20 Sep 2004 4:41 pm

Thanks for the relpies..good to know that at least the pain does go. Went back to bristol eye hospital and saw a more helpful doc, took me off one of the drops...the very strong salt water type one which was really not nice to put in as he said its questionable how much it helps to draw out the liquid anyway and gave me another steroid type one.

In complete agreement about the caffiene drying efect, and your message has reconfirmed it...fruit tea all the way, not just when im trying to be good! when my eyes are dry after a night out or a lot of coffee consumption the contact i wear in my left eye eye is much less comfortable.

pain seems to be a bit better today so hopefully it will stay that way and i will see my consultant as soon as i hit sheffield at the end of this week.

Anyone know if swimming is a seriously bad idea or just not a great idea..if i wear goggles!?

Thanks
Soph

Sue Ingram
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Sue Ingram » Tue 21 Sep 2004 8:12 am

Dear Sophie, Swimming is a fantastic idea! I used to swim with corneal lenses and no goggles and did so for years. Originally tried with the goggles which is fine (although they always seem to steam up whatever you do), then one day I forgot them and just took the plunge and never used them again - never lost a lens! I would definitely build up your confidence with the goggles first, though.

I now have scleral lenses which cannot fall out full stop, so there is no problem with siwmming at all. Take care and good luck - don't let KC stop you doing anything; there is always a way round things. SUE
SUE :-)

Jacqueline Cheetham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What are Hydrops...

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Wed 22 Sep 2004 12:34 pm

Sorry to be thick.... But could someone please explain what are hydrops? I have been having awful pains in my eyes for several months. I am having some new scerals made. And have had impressions of both eyes done. One consultant, and I have seen many, seems to think that my eyes have become damaged from wearing scerals for so long.. But what is the alernative. A lot of this is guess work I'm sure... Jacqueline

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Hydrops

Postby Rob Armstrong » Thu 23 Sep 2004 1:12 am

In brief, this is basically when your cornea becomes cloudy. It's caused by a rupture inside your cornea allowing the liquid inside your eyeball to mix with the liquid inside your cornea - the reaction between the two causes your cornea to cloud up.

I think that's roughly what it is anyway. I'm only going by what I've read, not personal experience fortunately!

No doubt if I've missed something someone will correct me.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

Jacqueline Cheetham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hydrops

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Thu 23 Sep 2004 11:59 am

Thanks Rob, that is very helpful, I can cross that one off then.... Jacqueline.

paula hardman
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

pain in the eye

Postby paula hardman » Thu 23 Sep 2004 3:20 pm

Jacqueline

I used to get pains in my eye but haven't had any while the vision's been settled. I think several other people have mentioned unexplained eye pain as well. No idea what it is or whether it's a symptom or cause of KC but I had these pains before I started wearing contacts.

Jacqueline Cheetham
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jacqueline Cheetham » Thu 23 Sep 2004 5:41 pm

Paula, Thank you for the reply. A lot of people are really trying hard to help me with this, but not a lot of luck so far. Trouble is it really hurts and it doesn't make a lot of difference with lenses in or out. Opening them in the morning is so painful, and I use Lacri-Lube every night. So any helpful hints or understanding would be gratefully appreciated. My eyes are also dry, an age thing...... It was suggested by one consultant that I get a tear duct plug, to keep my tears on my eyes instead of running away, might consider that one. Jacqueline. :D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”