Softperms

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Softperms

Postby Asif » Sun 05 Sep 2004 5:41 pm

This is a Q for people who have/are wearing softperms.

When wearing softperms, what length of time is a safe wearing time before they damage your eye, as I have heard over wearing them for a few days will cause they eye to feel sore.

This has happened to me several times when I absolutely had to wear my softperms for a long time. Has anyone experienced this, as they do feel very comfortable and overwearing them can easily happen.

At my last appointment I was told that the softperms were a slight tight fit but are still wearable. Is this the case with anyone else?

How long have you all been wearing softperms?

I currently wore my soft lenses for 13-16 hours a day which would feel fine for about 10-15 days and then they would feel sore for a few days that I would not even be able to put them in. I think this is because of me over wearing them http://www.clspectrum.com/archive_resul ... 5&auth=816

Anyone have some advice on how I can be able to see for the whole day without overwearing the lenses. Glasses do not cut it for me anymore and I can not see very well without lenses.

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Asif » Sun 05 Sep 2004 6:25 pm

Also, I use oxysept 1 and 2 to look after my lenses. I take the softperms out and fill them with oxysept 1, then neutralise for 10 mins with oxysept 2. Does anyone here use this method, if so do you use the LC65 cleaner before placing them in oxysept 1??

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Sun 05 Sep 2004 7:41 pm

Hi ASif...

I have worn my softperms for about 20 months now and have had several incidents of overwearing and scarring my cornea. The worst was last August when I had to go without my lenses for about a month whilst the 'new cells' bonded on the cornea..well thats what my optician said!

I t was so sore that when putting the lens in on a morning my eye would water for about an hour and near close up completly..not good!

Now I wear them for about 15 hours a day and aim for about 10 hours a day at weekends. I clean them with a normal, soft lens all in one soultion..nothing fancy.

I use lacrilube in my eyes about 4/5 nights a week to keep them moist and 'oily' as it is an ointment which works on the eye whilst sleeping.

My softperms have given me great vision and far better than some rgp's that I was prescribe for recently.

Now though I have devloped 'blind' areas in my periphal vision in my left eye and am told that this is due to the cornea thinning and becoming worse in certain areas..although I am not sure on this as I suffer from awful headaches in the temple/face area behind my left eye as well....

Cheers,

Dave.

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Mon 20 Sep 2004 6:02 pm

Asif;

I have been wearing them since 92; avg 10 hours but upto 15. No problems. In office they can dry up so I take them out wash them and replace.

LC65 plus Oxysept 1&2 are still the gold standard. For best results leave them overnight before neutralising. Use protien remover once a month - the last can make a big diffrence in comfort.

Try going at least half a day on Sat & Sun without the lens as this will enable your corneas to recuparate.

Dave Dale
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Dave Dale » Tue 21 Sep 2004 5:54 pm

Do you have anymore details on the soultions/protein removers you use Bob? Would be willing to change to see if the comfort is better?

Cheers,

Dave.

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Thu 23 Sep 2004 6:37 pm

dave,

I started out with Oxy 1 &2 plus LC65.
Later changed to miraflow and switched back to LC65 after CIBA issued a warning on prapanol which miroflow contains.

Enzyme removers always ultrazyme.

Tried all in one solution called Regard (new), but went back to the old fav as it did not clean as well as the two step process.

Sue Ingram
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Sue Ingram » Mon 27 Sep 2004 7:50 am

Hi Bob, What was the warning that Ciba issued regarding prapanol? I am a bit concerned as I have been using Miraflow for a few years now. Thx. SUE
SUE :-)

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Tue 05 Oct 2004 6:12 pm

Hi Sue,

Nothing specific - I suspect it weakens the joints on the lens bewteen the hard and soft parts. Having said that I always used Miraflow for almost 8 years and had no problems - I change my lens every 2 years although only one lens to date has actually split before 24 months - that went at 18. Most of the time the soft part starts to harden and again propanol may not help here. By two years RGP part normally has picked up qute a few fne scratches.

In all nothing to worry about - just switch to LC65 !

Sue Ingram
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Sue Ingram » Wed 06 Oct 2004 8:15 am

Thanks Bob. In fact I wear scleral lenses which are made from RGP material, so it looks like Miraflow should not cause me a problem. But thanks again for the info. Take care. SUE
SUE :-)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”