Dry eyes - do humidifiers work?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Dry eyes - do humidifiers work?

Postby Eddie S » Thu 18 Jan 2007 9:08 am

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

I am a KC'er and wear SoftPerm lenses (the ones with the hard centre and soft (sadly not chocolate) outer ring).

Recently my eyes, although they do tend to be dry anyway, have been getting considerably drier. I cisited my doctor and he said I have conjunctivitis which was strange as I had no discharge and my eyes were really dry. I was put on some antibiotic drops and told not to wear lenses for a week. Boohoo.

Went to put lenses back in on Monday - not too bad. Took them out, eyes went red. Woke up the next morning, eyes still red, and now sore again.

So on Tuesday I went to the eye casualty at the local hospital (Leics Infirmary) and they confirmed my dry eyes - they've taken some swabs to look for any underlying infection but the main problem is dry eyes.

So i'm currently on Celluvisc drops every hour and a parafin based gel for overnight. Again, no lenses for a week until I go back and see the hospital.

The problem I have, is because my eyes are generally dry anyway (I tend to tolerate lenses a lot better if they dont move, so dry eyes actually help me!!) helping my eyes before they get too dry is a real problem.

Can anyone tell me if they get any advantage from a humidifier - i'm guessing some of the problem is central heating drying the air out causing my problems. My partner, who also wears lenses (but daily disposables, lucky her) has also been complaining of dry eyes in the morning.

Any other advice on dry eyes also gratefully accepted!

Thanks

Eddie
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Thu 18 Jan 2007 9:29 am

if you put damp towels on the radiator it will help.
The heater in the car dries my eyes

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 18 Jan 2007 11:06 am

Humidifiers work, but you can not move around with one.

I have dry eyes and could only tolerate lenses for 2 hours.

The solution I found along with the hospital is to cut out much of the coffee and fruit drinks I had and replace them with water. I eat fruit instead of the juices, a whole load better for you and drink at least 2 litres of water per day. Have no more than 2 cups coffee per day, still enjoy the odd wine or beer every now and then, but no hangovers as I am so well hydrated.

This increased my lens wear a bit, but the extra push was eye drops. I tried half dozen for a week each and found Systane by Alcon worked best for me. Innitially I had to use them every few hours, but after a month the frequency of eye drop use went down to what it is now. Morning before putting lenses in and at night when they come out. 12 hours easy comfortable lens wear.

Systane forms a clear gel layer over the eye helping trap moisture in and also provideing a lubricating layer for the lens to move on. This combination has really helped me. Due to the Systane forming a gel you have to remove your lenses first, otherwise you do not get the full benefit and your lenses eventually go foggy and need cleaning.
Gareth

Mandy
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Mandy » Thu 18 Jan 2007 11:37 am

Hi

I think humidifiers do help.

I work in an office and spend most of the day staring at a computer screen so my eyes were becoming very dry.

My employer, as part of their duty to make reasonable adjustments, purchased a humidifier from Argos and its been fantastic.

It has made a noticeable difference for me and I can now wear my lenses longer without my eyes feeling so dry. This is of course a benefit to my employer and it means I can keep working!

Plus, where my humidifier is positioned, you can see the water being pumped back into the air.....it looks like steam is coming out of my head! :)
Mandy

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 18 Jan 2007 12:31 pm

On the subject of computer use, HSE guidelines recomend frequent short breaks.

This also helps to prvent the eyes becoming dry at home or work.
Gareth

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Eddie S » Thu 18 Jan 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks all.

I am actually lucky enough to be able to work from home (ran out of desks at the office!!). Unfortunately though, I share the spare room with the boiler (although an efficient combi one) and I'm guessing this is where my dry eyes are now coming from - especially during these winter months.

I have been recommended Systane before but didnt go for them at first as I was told I couldnt use them if I wore lenses. Obviously putting them in before and after lenses is the answer.

On a side point, as I still waiting to find out if I do have an eye infection, if I do have the infection would it be best for me to replace my SoftPerm lenses? I'm worried that despite daily cleaning the infection may live on in them?

Thanks all

Happy seeing!

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 18 Jan 2007 2:02 pm

Eddie,

It is always possible for the infection to live on. The eye practitioner will be best to advise on this.

In the meantime I would get a new lens case and solutions, just incase the tips of the solutions you use have been accidently contaminated. Throroughly rinse the new lens case in cooled boiled water followed by a thorough rinse in the disenfection storage solution you use for your lenses. Then give the lenses a throrough clean followed by saline and len disinfection rinses and repeat a couple of times before placing in the lens case.

Having worked as a microbiologist in research labs I know how stubborn some bugs can be to remove. My lens case get the boiled water wash daily and the rinse with the disinfectant solution daily before lenses being put in. Lenses only get the one clean unless I have been in smoke filled pubs. In 20 years of KC and having worked down the great British sewer system (not including my time as a civil servant :twisted: ), so far I have evaded eye infections.
Gareth

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Eddie S » Thu 18 Jan 2007 2:08 pm

Hi Gareth

I've been wearing them for 10 (various types) and this is my first infection, if I have one. I'm very strict with myself on the cleaning and if I have got an infection, unless the solutions arent doing their bit, i'm guessing its more bad luck than bad cleaning.

I'm feeling a bit run down (started getting sore throat last night) so it may all be related to that.

Will find out from hospital next week.

Ed
Eddie

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 18 Jan 2007 8:55 pm

Eddie,

It could be just down to a cold, as soon as I get one I really feel it in my eyes becoming drier than normal. If my sinus are up then my eye lids become sore and puffy and the best thing is to go without lenses which due to our local transport system I have no choice but to take a day off work. Working in a laboratory unfortunatly means I can not bring work home!

Usually a day or two off work with eye drops, over the counter painkillers is enough to bring the sinuses under control and they eye comfort back so I can wear lenses again.

Lets just hope it is a mild cold and a bout of dry eye.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 19 Jan 2007 8:53 am

Humidifiers are good, but do not depend on it to spend longer at your vdu. Gareth is right that vdu users NEED to take frequent short breaks, whether or not they have an eye condition.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”