General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

wassupade

Postby wassupade » Mon 09 Aug 2004 8:27 pm

:roll:

hi i wonder if you can help ive had KC over the last 8 years my right eye is affected worse than my left. i am having a corneal transplant in the next four months and i feel very scared as i hate the thought of the operation. can anyone answer these questions.

1 how long will it be before i can drive after the operation.

2 can the operation go wrong

3. how many days will i be in hospital.

4 what is the average amount of time it takes to regain your sight.

its nice to see such a helpfull webb site
a.waller

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 10 Aug 2004 6:51 pm

Hello, and welcome to the group.

Don't worry too much about the graft. It is a big thing, but there are a lot of us who have gone through it...

To answer some of your questions:

1. Driving really depends on the state of the other eye. The graft can take a while to settle down (up to 6 months maybe) before you can go and get glasses that would be good enough to drive in. Of course, if you have legal driving vision in the other eye, then you will be able to drive again as soon as you're out of the house (a week or two, typically)
  2. Yes, like all operations, it can go wrong. The success rate is often stated as 90% though, which is the best outcome of any transplant op. You could always have another graft if the first one rejects though.
  3. You may not be in hospital for very long at all. I was in for about 18 hours (including an overnight), but some people go home the same day.
  4. The tough question: everyone's different. You could see perfectly immediately after the op, although that is very unusual. You will almost certainly notice an immediate improvement, but it will take time. Grafts are not the quickest of healers :?

All the best, and let us know how you get on.
John

wassupade

KC

Postby wassupade » Sun 15 Aug 2004 8:24 pm

thanks you john for you help
a.waller

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sat 21 Aug 2004 3:55 pm

Can not add much to what has been said, it does depend how well you take to the graft and the skill of the surgeon.

1) I was back driving within 4 weeks of my first graft, mainly while I got used to seeing with just one eye. Got the OK from the surgeon first.

2) I have had two grafts, the right eye in 1989 and the left in 1990 and only now has the right deteriorated. Before the alarm bells ring, this is not due to the graft.

3) Time spent is less now proedures have improved, when my secon eye was done, I was only in for 2 days.

4) Skill of surgeon and how well you take to the graft. I hope you have the luck I had, after eighteen months to two years of the second eye being done, I went over 5 years without any eye correction. Now my glasses lenses are a lot thinner than my wifes and she does not have KC.

Always think positive.

wassupade

post op

Postby wassupade » Tue 14 Sep 2004 7:34 pm

if been given a time scale of 5 months for my corneal transplant in the meen time my left eye which is the strongest but also has keretacomus seems to be getting more cloudy i am also exspriencing black spots when i am triying to focus does anyone know what these are?
a.waller

Return to “General Discussion Forum”