Concerned Daughter

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Prue B
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Concerned Daughter

Postby Prue B » Fri 05 Jan 2007 10:54 pm

From your experiences how long does it take to gain any benefits?
In my firsy eye I had basically no vision for 6 weeks then a stitch was removed and I had 6/6 vision unaided. I now where glasses, but that moment was something like a miracle for me.

How has it changed your lives?
I can see, and whats more I usually believe my own eyes, I am more confident, and find new situations easier. It is really hard knowing you cannot trust what you see, I can cross the road without fear of not seeing a car, I can recognise people from 20 metres away. My mates dont have to do stupid jumping up and down and waving arms around ,like idiots to get my attention, then give up and come and get me. It is the little things, the buying bread or medicine the reading of a label. Hey apparently if I wore contaxcts I would see clearer than I do, but I see 6/6 with glasses, I was told I should nhot see what I do, but post graft if, you have KC ,it is comman to be able to read 2-3 more lines on the chart than non KC post grafters.

Does anyone regret having a corneal transplant and why?
Never

How common is rejection? And for those who have been through it, what happened next? Did everything work out?
When my son was a couple of weeks old my second eye started to reject. I live 3 hours from my opthal and was driven down 3 times a week for cotisone injections for a fortnight and then back onto the pred. It has been fine since, but my son gained a lot of weight that month.

Is it very painful post op?
Yes I had pain. Especially on sneezing (used to cover my eye and my mouth) My eye was really gritty post op, but the next morning after the patch was removed and it was cleaned it was much better, then it only hurt when I sneezed. That took about 3 weeks to fully abate. Glare was also painful post graft. If needed would I do it all again in a heart beat. Pain seems to be a variable thing.

I've seen how much my mum has suffered with this over the years and I just want her to have a better
quality of life, but I want to make sure this is the best thing for her.

She needs to make that descision herself, but a supportive family helps

Return to “General Discussion Forum”