Scleral Lenses and Contact Lens Solutions

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Scleral Lenses and Contact Lens Solutions

Postby Susan Mason » Sun 18 Jul 2004 12:11 am

Hello all

I am sure this one has been here before however I can't recall the the answers. Here is my question:- Currently I am using Baush & Lomb elite cleaning and conditioning solutions however, due to lens problems an going through it very quickly indeed and it is costing me a fortune. My GP currently prescribes me on prescription sterets Normasol saline and sterile eye drops and when I last saw him I asked could I get the cleaning and conditioning solutions as well on prescription as without them I can't use my scleral lenses which are my only means of being able to see. I was advised he would have to check if it was available on prescription from the local chemists and the answer came back as a no. My husband has since been into our local chemist to see if a different brand would be an option however he has been told no solutions at all can be prescribed. I find this a little bit bizzare when I am dependant on them.
Does anyone have any ideas/comments?
Thanks Susan

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

lens solutions

Postby Helen Scholar » Sun 25 Jul 2004 6:29 pm

The issue of solutions not being available on prescription when they are medically necessary seems bizarre to me too, especially for children and young people. Could this be something to take up with someone, somewhere? (Not sure who it would be!)

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 26 Jul 2004 6:30 pm

Strange as it may seem, those of us lucky enough to be treated at Moorfields do get some solutions on prescription. They'll only dispense for 3 months supply, and if you're on annual visits, that's not much help.

But it certainly is much better than nothing! :)
John

Janet Manning
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Janet Manning » Wed 04 Aug 2004 8:18 pm

Hi Susan,
You maybe have a different type of sclerals to me, but I don't use any of that expensive cleaning stuff for mine - on the advice given at Moorfields. I clean them with MIRAFLOW - about £3 something from Tesco - lasts ages. After removing them and cleaning with Miraflow I then rinse them with mains cold water and store them dry. Before inserting, I clean again with Miraflow and rinse with Steripod saline (on prescription) before filling with saline for insertion. You only need a drop of Miraflow each time for each side of the lens. Rub gently with a finger before rinsing. My lenses are rigid gas permeable sclerals.
Hope this helps.
Janet

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Miraflow

Postby Rob Armstrong » Wed 04 Aug 2004 11:33 pm

I was put on Miraflow as the cleaning solution I was using originally wasn't removing the stubborn deposits. (It was Boston Advance I think, which I was told got rebranded the same as Bausch and Lombe Elite)

Apparently Miraflow is stronger stuff, its alcohol based and I've been told at the hospital it therefore needs rinsing more thoroughly to ensure you've got it all off again.

My opticians order it in for me, I have to get 3 bottles at a time but that lasts an eternity, I only have one lens so it usually expires (3 months after opening) before I finish the bottle.

Mine's an corneal RGP, so I have to use a different technique to what Janet describes though.

Rob.

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Thu 05 Aug 2004 10:15 pm

I too use Miraflow to clean my RGP scleral. Unfortunately, it comes in a small pink/white bottle, similar to the one that FML (post-graft steroid) does.

Of course, fool that I am, a drop of that went into my eye. No damage done, and it was washed out with copious amounts of amidose saline, but by god did it hurt! I'd certainly recommend cleaning Miraflow off the lens.

On the other hand, it is supposed to have excellent wetting properties, so I guess there's a fine line...
John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”