Is KC Hereditary

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

forbes

Is KC Hereditary

Postby forbes » Mon 18 Dec 2006 11:59 pm

Hi all

I was diagnosed with KC approx 25 years ago, currently wear Scleral lenses and keep them in 16-18 hrs a day with no problems. My son (18 years old) has just been diagnosed with KC is there any body else with a son/Daughter who also has KC?

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Tue 19 Dec 2006 1:29 am

Hi forbes :D

I'm the daughter of someone who had a mild case of KC, and my fear of my own daughters (aged 14 and 17) having it is what led me to finding this place, but so far they are fine.
grafts in 1992 and 1996

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 19 Dec 2006 1:38 am

Hi Forbes, and welcome to the forum.

The talk we had at the AGM in March was about just that - the genetics of KC.

The research was showing that there is a familial link between siblings and sometimes down a generation, but going any further is incredibly rare.

It looks as though a certain combination of genes need to be present for a child to be susceptibe to KC, but there is also a trigger factor. So even if your son has KC, the likelihood is that he will get on with it just fine... and the chance of him passing it on to his own children is very remote indeed.
John

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Is KC hereditary?

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 19 Dec 2006 10:50 am

Just to add that you'll find a summary of the talk John refers to in our Summer 2006 newsletter, which you'll find in the newsletter section of the main site. (I'm sure someone cleverer than me will provide a link here!) When we did a survey of our members in 2003, we found that around 15% reported having someone else in the family with KC, which is higher than most research shows. But that still means the vast majority of our members don't have anyone else with KC in the family.
Anne

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Tue 19 Dec 2006 8:52 pm

Hi
My son (24) is showing some mild signs of KC -blurred vision in one eye, rubbing his eyes a lot (!!!), nightime driving causing glare, and glasses - provided by a well known high street optician (which may be he "should not have gone to") - not correcting it very well. As I have now been diagnosed with KC myself I am trying to get him referred to his local eye hospital to just check him out - will let you know the outcome idc.

My mother also had lots of eye problems but I never found out what they really were - but unfortunately I can no longer ask her.
Pat

denner
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby denner » Thu 21 Dec 2006 10:54 am

My 4 year old daughter is starting to rub her eyes a lot im really worried that she will develop KC.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 21 Dec 2006 10:57 am

From Mr Tufts prsenetation at the AGM, there is a chance, but the probability is low.

Any signs of eye problems with my daughter and she is straight down to the opticians.

In the 20 years of KC technology and the optionas available to us have changed alot and I take comfort from this. By the time my daughter is likely to get KC (if she is going to), the technology will have moved on nearly anther 10 years so she will be even better looked after due to the ever increasing options.
Gareth

John W
Contributor
Contributor

Postby John W » Thu 21 Dec 2006 12:04 pm

hiya

My mother has it and I have it, but ours seems to have randomly popped up in our family, so there is a chance its genetic and only appears with a right combination.

I have it quite mildly and my mum even milder. So much that she is still ok with glasses.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”