American TV Show on KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

American TV Show on KC

Postby asylumxl » Sat 16 Dec 2006 5:38 pm

Theres a show on LivingTV for anyone whos interested about a guy being diagnosed with Keratoconus. It's ok, but they are overstating the seriousness of it though. His house got burnt down in a fire etc etc, its kinda like extreme makeover.
Last edited by asylumxl on Sat 16 Dec 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Lesley Foster » Sat 16 Dec 2006 6:26 pm

When is the programme on?

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 16 Dec 2006 6:38 pm

Maybe they are not overstating, just stating an extreme case.

When I was diagnosed I was told "you will go blind". I did.

andrew
Andrew MacLean

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Sat 16 Dec 2006 6:46 pm

I think its over now, my mum told me about it, maybe they will rerun it.

It was called Renovate My Family: Blankenship Family. I don't know how much of it was about his Keratoconus.

brigid downing
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby brigid downing » Mon 18 Dec 2006 12:17 am

I think I watched the show you are talking about. If so it was dreadful - not the KC bit but the show. It was an extreme make over show where the production team completely rebulit the family's house and re stocked their wardrobes - for which they had to display due gratitude for the camera etc.

The father of the family had been depressed and living in fear that he was going blind. His insurance did not seem to cover eyecare and, what with his house burning down and all... So the production team took him to the optician who said "I have some bad news for you" cue dramatic music, concerned faced of presenters and cut to advert break. After the advert break - rerun of "i have some bad news" more dramatic music and mother on edge of tears - then the optician says "you a have a rare eye condition, Keratoconus" The wife busts into tears and the presenter all but faints. Then the optician explains that the father needs glasses and the tension is broken.

There is no explaination of the KC given, just lots of the family thanking God and the Film Crewe, hugging/crying etc.

I believe that the main presenter is the son of Oprah's Dr Phil - and it started life as a segment on one of her shows - if that helps contextualise further.

Mostly the show is not about KC - but rather the unequalled generosity of the production team and the unending gratitude of a poor family who frankly had suffered enough before this TV show happened to them.

Brigid

Return to “General Discussion Forum”