keratoconus at work - disability rights?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

LouiseBenj

keratoconus at work - disability rights?

Postby LouiseBenj » Tue 12 Dec 2006 9:22 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with keratoconus earlier this year. I have mentioned to my employer that I have minor vision problems, but have not really discussed anything with her. I work with children and adults with disabilities and my job involves a great deal of one to one work. I dont personally feel that my vision effects my ability to do my job, altough I know that it may progress. Do I need to officially tell my employer that I have this condition?

I've been trying to read the Disability discrimination/work act thingy and still dont really understand if KC is a disability, any ideas?

Has anyone else had issues with KC at work?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 12 Dec 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Louise,

KC can be a disibility andwe are coverd by the disability discrimination act.

The Employers Leaflet will probably be of interest not only to your employers but to yourself.

We have teachers who are part of the group who cope well with KC and have visual aids to help them read students work in the form of a CCTV set up, they place the book under the camera and the magnified image is good enough for them to read the students work.

KC can stabalise which mine has been for over 2 years now. Back then I was told the hospital would not be able to help further with lenses if my vision changed. 2 years on and we have found the Kerasoft lenses work so I now have a backup solution.

On the comittee we have questioned oursleves on how well the forum reflects the general KC population as we want to help all cases. The feeling is that most people with KC cope very well with lenses in their everyday life. therefore informing your employer through occupational health is a courtesy and should you need time off due to KC they will already be aware of the situation and hopefully informed/caring enough to understand that what you go through wil probably be a short term blip in the KC management.

There is also assistance from Access to Work schemes which ease the financial burden to employers if ew equipment is needed and also Action for the Blind who not only defnd our rights but can also make suggestions on how our work envornment can be adapted to allow us to continue doing our own job.

If your details are not already registed with the group, do so and you will get alsorts of useful info and the DVD from last years confrence which was all about working with KC.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 13 Dec 2006 7:14 am

Hi Louise

I have nothing to add to gareth's very full response to your question, except to say that you have my sympathy as you make your way through the labyrinth.

But, if your employer is as wissing as mine was to make necessary adjustments to your working environment, I am sure everything will be okay.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 13 Dec 2006 8:43 am

Would reflect what Gareth and Andrew have said. Its a question of balance.
My conversation with my line manager took less than a minute. I told him I had an eye disease and would need to take off to the eye hospital from time to time. That was that. He logged in the back of his mind and I have never had a problem getting time off to go to appointments. He also backed my claim to have my workstation enhanced so I can see my e-mails. Every now and then he points at something in the harbour (he is the harbour master) and I have to remind him I cannot see it!
I think it is worth telling your employer. Certainly, I would prefer my staff to feel they could tell me something like that.

Get a life...get a dog!

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Wed 13 Dec 2006 9:26 am

Louise
I would make sure that she is fully aware of your condition as suggested by others. This flags up to your employer that the DDA applies to you, and if things start to get worse, and if your KC does start to affect your ability to do your job as well as you are now, appropriate adjustments will need to be considered.
But what is important is that you don't ever let them use it as a stick to beat you with! I speak from bitter and recent experience - having had undiagnosed (despite trying) KC eyesight problems for over 2 years my boss seems to have taken advantage and found a way to take my job away from me at a time when I wasn't able to fight back (partly becuase neither he nor I knew what was wrong). But I have, thanks to the recent support from you guys in this group, found the determination to challenge the behaviour, but really wish I didn't have to go through this. It's going to be stressful. So, Louise, as an "ex" manager myself, I would agree with the others - make sure your manager knows. Hopefully all will be fine for you.
Pat

Dave_W

Postby Dave_W » Wed 13 Dec 2006 4:17 pm

I would echo the general advice to tell your manager - my employers have been absolutely top class in working with me to find a solution that we both find acceptable as my condition has progressed.

Pat - hope you get the right result. Good luck.

Mandy
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Mandy » Wed 13 Dec 2006 11:04 pm

Hi
I don't think I can add anything here to the other really helpful and practical information that has already been given.

I (and I don't know if I should admit this!) but I'm an Employment Lawyer, and in my experience if your employer knows about your condition, you will benefit. Most employers, as soon as they know that an employee is ill, begin to panic and start worrying about reasonable adjustments under the DDA 1995 before they even know whether the condition is a "disability" or not. By informing your employer, they can make a few simple adjustments which really can make a huge difference.

The definition of "disability" under the DDA is a legal one, not a medical one and ultimately, its a Tribunal that will determine the issue of whether someone has a disbility for the purposes of the DDA.

Anyway, hope that helps rather than confusing the issue!

Mandy
Mandy

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Thu 14 Dec 2006 12:08 pm

Well, to add my twopennorth, I've been told on several occassions by different occupational health doctors that my KC would "certainly be covered" by the DDA.

My employers have been most accommodating to my various problems over the years, and I'm sure that the DDA is to be thanked for much of that.
John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”