New to contacts.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ermat Campbell

New to contacts.

Postby Ermat Campbell » Thu 17 Jun 2004 4:33 am

Hello!

I was diagnosed with KC in my teens, I am now 24. I was able to complete my degree by struggling along with glasses, but now I have been issued with some RoseK lenses. I am planning to start a teacher training course in couple of months, and am finding the lenses very frustrating.

Firstly, I find them very hard to put in. My blink reflex seems to be set on a hair trigger, and pretty much unstoppable! While I am trying to put them in I get very panicy and find that my hands shake, and my heart races. Is this normal at the begining?

Secondly, when I have the lenses in, they don't irritate my eyes so much as my eyelids which exhibit sharp pains when I blink. These pains get worse over time, so I can only keep the lenses in for a few hours at a time. Will my lids 'toughen up'?

Do others find it hard sometimes starting our with hard lenses?

Also: I do a lot of computer work, which I can mostly manage without lenses and HUGE FONTS, but this sometimes leads to eye strain.
Does doing a lot of computer work make KC worse?

Is there a reccomended max time spent squinting at the glowing box?

thanks,

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Sat 19 Jun 2004 1:38 pm

Hi Ermat,

Putting something in (or even near) your eyes is really a foreign concept to your body. Don't worry though - in time, you'll become more used to the idea, and things will become much easier.

The eyelid sensation is something that you will get used to in time. Just wear the lenses "enough" - don't overwear them, and you'll soon find things easier.

As for the blink reflex, I would but an RGP in by putting the wet lens on the tip of my right forefinger whilst holding the lower eyelid down with the right middle finger, and the upper lid up with the left hand. Even if you try to blink then, the lid won't move! I also found that putting a great dollop of TOTAL on the lens meant that the lens would move from my finger to the eye without my having to touch the eye: surface tension did the rest!

Best of luck.
John

Ermat Campbell

Postby Ermat Campbell » Mon 21 Jun 2004 9:49 am

Thanks for your encouraging response :)

The only problem I have with holding my lids opne is that I find even that level of eye-interference disturbing. I expect I will get used to it though.

What is TOTAL? Where can I get some? That sounds like a neat trick.

thanks again,

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 21 Jun 2004 7:03 pm

TOTAL is the old name for Allergan's "Total Care" wetting/soaking solution.

I'm sure any "eye-compatible" wetting solution will be just as effective.
John

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Tue 29 Jun 2004 8:04 pm

Hi,
I wear a rose k2 in my left eye and its not too bad comfort wise so hopefully you will get used to it and it will get more comfortable. Recently i was fitted with a larger version of the same lens which has helped the comfort as my eyes are quite big so maybe that could help you too. Also when doing things like reading or using a computer or anything when your concentrating with your eyes your blink rate drops quite dramatically and drys out your eyes, i find my lens gets really uncomfortable when i have been wearing it and its dried out a bit so really helps to keep adding solution.

Hope things improve
Sophie

Return to “General Discussion Forum”