Rose K, Softperm and Schleral lenses?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Damien Anderson

Rose K, Softperm and Schleral lenses?

Postby Damien Anderson » Sat 05 Jun 2004 8:04 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here. I was diagnosed with KC about 5 years ago.. I'm 28 now. I've got a few questions that I hope you can answer....

I've been reading the forum and saw a lens called 'Rose K' mentioned, what type of lens is this (hard/soft?) what does everyone think about these lenses

Secondly, the Schleral lenses, do I have to go to a eye hspital to get them? will I have to be referred by my doctor? Do the majority of people who use them get good vision with them?

and Thirdly, I currently use a Softerm lens in my left eye and a Kerasoft soft lens in my right eye. If I wear two softperm lenses (one in each eye) my eyes get red and sore during the day. I guess because of bad oxygen transfer through the sofperms. I heard that a 'Softperm 2' lens was coming out, which has better oxygen transfer properties...anyone know if they are out yet?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Damien

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Sat 05 Jun 2004 11:43 pm

Hi Damien, Welcome to the forum!

"Rose K" lenses are basically rigid gas permeable lenses for people with KC. I'm not quite sure what's special about them, but I certainly found them much more comfortable than "regular" RGP lenses.

"Scleral" lenses are simply huge. Because they sit on the insensitive white of the eye, they are very comfortable too. I'm sure that you could get hold of sclerals at some opticians' practices, but it would be a rare optician who will do this. Most people seem to get their sclerals from hospitals.

I've never worn any of the soft hybrid lenses - can anyone else add to this?
John

Bob Somi
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bob Somi » Wed 09 Jun 2004 7:46 pm

Damien,
Rose K. They are RGP but diffrence between a standard lens and one designed for KC is the curve on the corneal side of the lens. Because a KC cornea is conical the lens has to vault over the cone and not touch it. Oridany lens have a single curve ie like a section of a spherical ball but KC lens the curve increases ie more of a parabolic section.

Softperm - again a RGP but with a flexible skirt. useful if user has prominent protrouding eyes where eye lid sensation can be a real problem. Not heard of SP2 but the major problem is fitting with these lens. They can fit too tightly. If correctly fitting you should be able to gently slide them while they are in your eye.

I have asked to try RoseK but my pratitioner is reluctant as SP give me such good vision.

Try them all if possible!

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Thu 10 Jun 2004 9:55 pm

Recently my practitioner has advised me against wearing my soft perm lens as the fact that less oxygen can get to the cornea may cause blood vessels to grow there. Eventually this can apparently reduce the chance of successful cornea graft. I now wear a RoseK2 which is relatively comfortable for up to about 12 hours. The advantage of a K2 is that the fitting can be varied more.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”