psychological problems due to KC????

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

psychological problems due to KC????

Postby eman samir » Mon 06 Nov 2006 10:08 pm

hello everybody.iam considered relatively new with KC so i wanna know did you ever suffer a psychological problems because of KC? you know sometimes psychological problems hurt much more than clinical one...you are the only people understanding me. :P
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

piper
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby piper » Mon 06 Nov 2006 11:13 pm

hello EMAN......you've opened a can 'o worms there, buddy. Even those among us who will hang back in the shadows have something to say here.....and perhaps some will. i don't know if we have problems because of the KC, or because of the way our friends and family treat us and respond to us in oour difficulties. Probably the biggest thing we all feel is frustration, at not being able to truley show anyone what we see. And, frustration from the physical pain brought on by lenses and fittings. Not being able to read anymore, or drive anymore, or see friends faces anymore........the life-limiting parts of KC are killers.

Having KC is like carrying a 40-pound bag of sand around with you everyday.......you can't put it down and go on normally, there isn't any NORMAL anymore....

Get to a good Opth. and get treated. Download some images from the KC sites that will help to describe what you see.......try to be patient.

Best of luck. Piper

eman samir
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby eman samir » Tue 07 Nov 2006 12:02 am

i completely agree with you specially that our pain may be because of our friends and family.
for indeed,it is not the eyes that grow blind but it is the hearts which are within the bosoms that grow blind...

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Alison Fisher » Tue 07 Nov 2006 1:18 am

After a phone conversation with my father tonight during which he told me I had no idea what it was like to have eye problems :shock: I can totally relate to that. I wouldn't mind so much if he had major problems himself, but he doesn't. :(
grafts in 1992 and 1996

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Tue 07 Nov 2006 1:41 am

Alison,

:shock: I'm shocked, too!

Your father does know that you've had operations on your eyes, doesn't he?
John

Alison Fisher
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Alison Fisher » Tue 07 Nov 2006 3:16 am

Oh heavens yes but he is a law unto himself. It isn't unusual for me to get off the phone stressed out and muttering 'let it go Ali, let it go' under my breath, and my husband to ask in a resigned voice 'what's he said/done this time then?' 'Nuff said? I think so. :wink:
grafts in 1992 and 1996

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 07 Nov 2006 8:42 am

Alison; you hadn't called my father inlaw by mistake?

My wife often returns from her parents extremely frustrated.

It is very true KC can cause psychological problems and there are a fair number here that I know have been treated for depression and I include myself in that.

Fortunatly as the KC management strategy was put in place so the stresses relating to can I still do the job I enjoy, what hobbies can I still do, familly stuff reduced as I knew I would eventually be able to do nearly all the same stuff and I learn through this site to adapt better to little sight and now I lenses for me are more to be able to drive and do certain things at work where you need good vision on health and safety grounds.
Gareth

cherishu2
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby cherishu2 » Tue 07 Nov 2006 12:09 pm

im sure some of my depression is due to it.
I get so frustration and though i have a sense of humour, somteimes i get sick of others thinking its funny.
I wanna drive, wanna make my jewellery again, wanna read normal print books.
Wanna clean my house without sneaky other half following round doing bits ive missed.
I feel a burden and darn useless at times.
Yep it affects me lol

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Tue 07 Nov 2006 12:21 pm

you'd hate me cleaning your house, follow this link and see how clean I get my car;

Cleane car without my lenses in!

I hated people pointing out what I missed, so to proove I could clean properly without lenses started on the car and enetrd it in soem competitions and won!

House is still a tip, but I put that down to the rest of the familly leaving junk in the way that I cna not reach to dust and clean properly.

Once the baby arrives you will never have a clean house again :twisted:

Whenever I try and tidy my daughters toys away I amgreeted with the scream 'I HAVE NOT FINISHED MY GAME :( '.

When I was first diagnosed I took up making model cars, now I refrubish old bits of car!

It was my way of proving to others and myself that just because I have a disability I can still do things as well as others.

To tell me I can not do soemthing is the sort of thing that angers me and I will do my best to prove otherwise. Might take 10 times longer, but time is not something I am interested in, it is the end result.

I appreciate what you must be going through. The biggest thing that scared me when I was told KC had come back was that I would not see my daughter grow up. 2 years earlier I had given up a very good sales job because I realised she was growing up and I barely knew my own daughter.

Fortunatly I can see again and I hoe you will be able to see your baby enough pre graft and that post graft you get all the rewards of mother hood you richly deserve.
Gareth

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Tue 07 Nov 2006 7:11 pm

Hello Eman, I do sympathise, when my sight deteriorated rapidly as a teenager I became very seriously depressed and hurt myself. I became phobic about putting lenses in at one point, and now I still panic if I have to remove my lens whilst I am out because I can't cope with my vision without it.
I see you're from Egypt, I'm going to Cairo next September for the first time for a holiday, I reckon the pyramids will be big enough to see!
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”