New Here

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Tracey Burt

New Here

Postby Tracey Burt » Tue 01 Jun 2004 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Am a new member as of today after being rushed through the opthalmology department at our local hospital.

Up until September 2002 I had perfect vision then after using my PC for a bit too much online gaming I started getting eye strain etc and had the voice of my mum in my head saying "you shouldn't play for that long". So off I went down to the optician and came out with a prescription and an appointment with a lens advisor (I never knew such people exisited). After six months or so I started getting a chronic ache in my right eye so off I went back to the opticians who gave me another eye test and told me I had a Stigmatism and then altered the prescription in my glasses. At that time the left eye was still ok to the point I questioned why I was paying that much for one lens :). Everything seemed ok then the beginning of this year my glasses lacked having the desired effect when I wanted to read something and letters,numbers and objects had a shuddering look as well as blurred however as I was working very hard I put it down to tiredness. Eventually enough was enough as my good eye was hurting and I was getting a cloudy feeling in the right eye. I went for my eye test in April 2004 and after a few different people looked at my eye and went "oh" "uhm" it was decided I needed to be referred asap as the sight in my right eye had deteriorated very quickly and the left was following suit. He explained about KC and said it was a possibility but it needed the proper dr to confirm. I was also at that stage taking metformin 1000mg a day for polycystic ovaries. Once the tablets and PCO condition were eliminated my appointment was made. That brings me to today, after the initial re eye test and drops in the eye to make my pupils look like buttons I was sent off for varying tests, a topography was taken of my eyes aswell as refraction etc one thing I learnt was is don't ask the taker what it is your doing as they fil you with disconcern. I saw the Dr yet again and was told that I had an irregular shaped KC in my right eye and the on set of it in my left eye. She showed me typical shapes and well needless to say I am awkward through and through !!. I have my contact lens appointment in 3wks time and will start down that road to sorting it out or at least controlling it if there is such a thing.

Any advice or pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks for reading my waffle

Tracey :D

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Tue 01 Jun 2004 5:15 pm

Well you still sound pretty cheerful which is good. You will see from reading other posts on this discussion forum that KC is different for us all. Hopefully you will find that your contact lens fitting goes well and that your eyes like lenses. If not don't be put off straight away as there are many different types of lenses that can be tried. I personally found that the biggest hurdle was getting enough info out of the hospital, the NHS is a marvellous thing and you tend to get pushed in and out being allowed a standard 20 mins slot and I sometime found that they talked over me as if I wasn't there. Anyway enough about that you will have to keep us updatedas to how it goes and if you need someone to talk to let us know, in 4 years attending my local hospital at no point have they ever thought to suggest where to look for info or support, it took my husband months to find this website at which time things were not so bad and I had got over the initial shock of being told I had KC. Hope all goes well. Susan.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”