Advice

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gavmos

Advice

Postby gavmos » Fri 21 May 2004 12:50 pm

Hello,

This is my first posting - in fact my first visit to the website. I have been diagonised with KC for about 5 years however I have only been experiencing the problem in my left eye until recently. I have been provided with a hard lens for my left eye for about 3 years however because my right has been fine I haven't needed to wear it (however when I do there is a drastic improvement. My problem is that I think my right eye has started to deteriorate as I am begining to see the 'ghosting effect' especially with bright lights. I was wondering whether any people have experienced a situation when both eyes have been completly different and if so did the better eye come down with the problem and did it get as bad as the worse one?

Thanks
Gavin Brown

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Thu 27 May 2004 12:23 pm

Hi Gavin,

I think what you are experiencing is quite common in KC patients, i think it is not often that the eyes deteriorate at the same rate. I was diagnosed with KC about 5/6 years ago and initially it was my right eye that was fitted with a lens, but i didnt wear it much because of the comfort and my left eye was fine and compensated for my right. However now i am at the stage where my right eye has very little vision and no longer tolerates a lens very well. I am very dependent on my Left eye, which has deteriorated quite a lot especially in the last year and has been fitted with a couple of different lenses, at the moment a hard lens seems to be the best. I am in no way suggesting that your eyes will go the same way as mine, but just thought you may like to know that i have had a very similar situation so your not alone. I think it its very hard to predict what will happen to patients with KC..it may get worse, but it may settle down and stop getting any worse. I think struggle on with the lens for your left eye...its only when you put it in that you start to understand how much better you can see.

Take care and good luck with the eyes
Sophie

gavmos

Postby gavmos » Mon 07 Jun 2004 4:32 pm

Thanks Sophie - will keep you posted on what happens. Currently see moorfields every 6 months so not due there till September. Are both eyes as bad now for you?

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Mon 14 Jun 2004 6:29 pm

hi Gavin,

My eyes are still very different. The left eye is the better one and although it continues to get worse at the moment it is still treatable with a Rose K2 lens. My right eye has also continued to get worse, just been to the hospital today and they are now suggesting a corneal graft just for the right eye. But with my left lens in I still get reasonable vision. I hope your eyes become more stable, I think it is possible for one to stop getting worse even if the other one doesnt but not really sure

Hope thats of some use

soph

Return to “General Discussion Forum”