Contact lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Contact lenses

Postby Steven Williams » Sun 22 Oct 2006 7:30 pm

Could you KC experts and experienced lens wearers provide answers to my following questions:-

1. does wearing contacts (RGP) aggravate the
KC and cause further progression of the condition or does it stablise it by capping it?
Has anyone (pre graft only) had the condition deteriorate suddenly after wearing lenses

2. is it possible and normal practice for the lenses to be provided with a slight tint (eg blue) to enable you to locate and position them?

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Amarpal » Sun 22 Oct 2006 8:19 pm

1. I wouldn't say (from what I have read) that lenses cause further progression. there are other effects such as 'wearing' of the exposed surface, increased chances of corneal scratching and oxygen 'staining'- lack of oxygen to the cornea where the lens sits. However, I wouldnt worry about these because if you are careful with the way you take care of the lenses and give your eyes a rest from the lenses every now and then you should be fine. If anything arises your opthalmologist would notify you anyway.
I'm sure you'll get more info on this bit from other members!

2. Yes- oh what would I do without the tints! :) Like some others on this forum, I have a green tint in my left contact lens and a blue in the left (gReen- Right bLue- Left). Just ask your practitionner as lenses are usually given some sort of tint to make them easier to see.
Amarpal

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sun 22 Oct 2006 9:24 pm

Hehe yes mine were both blue when i first stated wearing them but have only worn one for the last 16 years. Now after a graft i have blue for my right and a lovely cool lilac for my left!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

brigid downing
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby brigid downing » Sun 22 Oct 2006 11:48 pm

A Lilac lens!! Now I am really jealous - what other colours can you get?

Do you think pink would make me look too much like a white rabbit? I have very pale skin and a tendency to twitch my nose when thinking!

I've followed the suggestion as above (bLue for left and gReen for right) I was a bit concerned when this was first suggested but to be honest you can't tell when they are in.

Brigid

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Mon 23 Oct 2006 12:48 am

Hehe a pink lens i would LOVE to have!! LOL!!! Though lilac is close enough!!!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Michael P » Mon 23 Oct 2006 9:22 am

For me it's bLue left and gRey right.

It still doesn't stop me putting them into the lens case the wrong way round and then popping them in my eyes the next day and wondering why i am having such a bad sight day.

Michael P
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Michael P » Mon 23 Oct 2006 9:22 am

For me it's bLue left and gRey right.

It still doesn't stop me putting them into the lens case the wrong way round and then popping them in my eyes the next day and wondering why i am having such a bad sight day.

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Mon 23 Oct 2006 9:52 am

Thanx for that info guys & gals much appreciated.

I got my lenses in the post from MREH on Saturday. They are clear and in two pots and are not identified left and right, the text on the pots is so small even my wife who has 20/20 vision cannot read it.

I hope that this is not represenattive of the KC healthcare out there because if it is you have to make sure your one step ahead and ask them the questions.eg can I be supplied with coloured lenses plse

I wouldnt worry about these because if you are careful with the way you take care of the lenses and give your eyes a rest from the lenses every now and then you should be fine

I have never been provided with information concerning the care of the lenses, technique for inserting and removal, tips etc, wearing time etc so could anyone here plse give me some info or refer me to somewhere that does.

Also were do you get the best deals for the solutions, etc? Is there any way you can get the stuff provided free as IMO KC is a disability
condition.

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Mon 23 Oct 2006 10:10 am

That is really bad that they didn't colour code them for you! :roll:

You normally get a teaching session on inserting and removing lenses and about solutions. Moorfields won't let you walk away with scleral lenses if you can't insert them properly as they know that you will need to go back!

I have always said that it would be nice if some of us here could set up a few hours where we could meet people and go through lenses with them. It is not much use having lenses from optometrists who have never tried them! Those who wear them are better to teach and can talk about the problems they find with them. I have gone through some teaching with staff in work about putting lenses in and care and it has really helped them.

Sadly there is no provision at the minute for lens solutions to be on prescription but this group is looking into it. I buy most at the supermarket but you can get good deals if you buy in bulk online. Contact lens direct is a good one and it gets delivered quickly.

Lenses should ideally be cleaned and put in solution overnight or for at least six hours. Most optoms think that lens wear should be around 8 - 12 hours but it depends on your tolerance to them, i manage ok normally with 15 hours but i think that one day without them a week is good to give your eyes a break.

I find that i wash mine with cleaning solution and then rinse them with saline to save on using so much conditioning solution and then rinse with this conditioning solution and leave them in fresh solution overnight. This seems to be fine with me but everyone is different in what they use and how they go about it. The lenses should come with some trial bottles but it is up to you if you stick with these or get something else. See how you go!

Hope this helps and i really hope that you will be able to identify them! That is really hard if they aren't tinted!

Best of luck ... Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Mon 23 Oct 2006 11:04 am

Thanx Sweet thats really helpful, it seems that MREH are not offering me a service which is representative of what is available out there. That is what I thought and hoped would be the case.

I have asked for a consultation with the Manager for my next appointment its not easy either because the receptionist is so uncaring and unhelpful.

I've had a closer look at the lenses and they do have a blue tint on the edges only, is that the normal practice or should the colour be throughout the lens surfaces?

These lenses I have been informed by MREH are correct although they have now qualified that by saying that they only check the strength accords with the prescription, not the colour! Apparently they ordered one as grey and the other as blue! Both are blue on the edges only!

Fortunately I'm not colour blind as well somthing you would have thought they would have asked me before ordering the lenses but they did not.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”