Second innings for sclerals?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Andrew Bosanquet

Second innings for sclerals?

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Sun 02 May 2004 12:51 pm

Does anyone else get my problem with sclerals? I have had them since December and am very happy with them too - wearing time 10-13 hours / day, excellant vision.
However, almost every time I put them in, there is a little something floating behind the lens - sleep? Each blink it gets shunted accross my line of vision so if I do not take the lens out and reinsert, I have a slight problem all day.
I now almost every morning put them in, wait a couple of minutes, take them out and reinsert them! This gets rid of the floater and I am fine all day.
Andrew
Diagnosed 1962. Sclerals > corneals > GP corneals > Rose K > back to sclerals (and very pleased). Sight 6/6 or better.

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Sun 02 May 2004 11:22 pm

Hi Andrew, at last I am not a freak, someone else who is admitting to one of my little problems - I have a few however all are nothing compared with being able to see. I too find many mornings that I have this problem, floating little specs/sleepy bits. I have to make sure I am up for at least 2 hours before I need to put my lenses in and even then it does not guarantee that I will be right first time. I had wondered whether it was a stress thing, hurrying to get up and ready to take my litte boy to school before going to work myself. Sometimes if I am relaxed - not going to work or an appointment things go very smoothly. I have had my lenses since May 2003 and am still at the point where the hospital is seeing me quite regularly - last appointment Feb 04 next May 04 previous to Feb 04 appointments were every month - I have been a very bad case, after having managed with glasses for 2 years when moving onto contacts they could not get anything to fit/give required vision/wearing time, so out came the yellow plastic apron!!! and the sclerals - I nearly fell off the chair.
Do you work? I assume you probably do, I seem currently to be struggling with the dust/grit/muck in the air at work. Although I am a manager in effectively a clerical role my staff operate machines which generate quite an amount of dust, our desks are always mucky and cable ducting around the room is covered with lines of black dust, no matter how many times we clean it off. Currently whilst at work my left lens seems to be bothering me and I am now wondering is it the dust which I assume although should not get under the lens will build up on the outside of my eye/lens and be mostly blinked away however, maybe some is left and is irritating me. Or is it down to the fact that at my last appointment I was told that my left eye seemed to be flattening out (not bad or good I am told) and may therefore need refitting. I will have to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks, my employer does not seem to have much notion of what is/isn't a problem for me and at the hospital it also seems that if you have KC you are in the guinea pig section - when I mentioned that I had to get up at least 2 hours before and got sleepy floaty bits I was basically told - oh do you! At the next appointment I had a few more patients had been in and he had asked them how did they manage and it seemed a few have to get up and allow plenty of time. He did however suggest that maybe I should flush my eyes with saline before inserting the lenses, something which I had already tried and still sometimes do.

PS I still am pretty freaky really, I was only diagnosed in Dec 2000 and by that time I was 32! My problems had originally started in late 1998 and as the hospital could not see me for 12 months! a private appointment got me a good pair of glasses however, no diagnosis as to what the problem I had was. I expect they didn't want to tell me at that point however, if they had I may not have lost quite as much sleep worrying about blindness etc

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Mon 03 May 2004 10:41 am

Hi Susan
I do work but, I am glad to say, in a non-dusty environment. No chance of you moving your desk into the office next door, I suppose?
As I can get around tollerably without lenses, I am almost always up for two hours before putting my lenses in - does not solve the floaters problem. My wife also said, why not use an eye bath before putting my lenses in? I should try it!
Diagnosed 1962. Sclerals > corneals > GP corneals > Rose K > back to sclerals (and very pleased). Sight 6/6 or better.

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Mon 03 May 2004 6:01 pm

Just a quick note. I always Optrex my eyes first during the hay fever season

kate farminer

Postby kate farminer » Tue 04 May 2004 6:56 am

Hi
my son wears sclerals - sometimes, not always gets grot in there with the saline - in the early months my insertion technique seemed to be guaranteed to scrape the eyelashes clean and scoop up anything in the area! Also getting smeary by the third try despit much cleaning and restarting...
NOw i wipe everywhere with saline first. As insertion has become swifter (5 secs each lens easy now) no lash margins are involved and everything seems cleaner.

my question - what does protein build up look like?
Have heard it mentioned but wouldnt recognise it.
Kate n Dale

Return to “General Discussion Forum”