Research Help!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Peter Turton

Research Help!

Postby Peter Turton » Sat 01 May 2004 1:09 pm

Hey all,
I'm doing some research into keratoconus and I'd like a small amount of information off the good people of this forum.

What I'd like to know is, at the time of your diagnosis of keratoconus, what were your visual acuity scores (if known) and at what age was this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Caroline
Contributor
Contributor

More details please

Postby Caroline » Sat 01 May 2004 6:05 pm

Happy to help with research, but not sure where to find visual acuity scores or what they are! Have had KC about 10 years but can try and track down details if you can provide information on how to get them!
Thank you

Peter Turton

Postby Peter Turton » Sat 01 May 2004 8:42 pm

Visual acuity, is the test measured with the Snellen Chart (the one with all the letters where you cover one eye and then read as far down the chart as possible)

6/6 indicates normal vision
6/12 indicates what a normal person can see from 12 metres, you can only see from 6 metres (i.e. your eyesight is worse)
6/3 indicates what a normal person can see from 3 metres, you can see from 6 (i.e. your eyesight is better)

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Sun 02 May 2004 12:43 pm

Where do you want the information sent? Andrew
Diagnosed 1962. Sclerals > corneals > GP corneals > Rose K > back to sclerals (and very pleased). Sight 6/6 or better.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Research Help!

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 05 May 2004 5:39 pm

Dear Peter

The simple answer to your question is don't know.

I was first told that there was a permanent problem with my sight when I was a in Edinburgh student in 1976, The optician did not think a visit to my GP would help, so I didn't go.

My next brush with an optician (same guy) came in 1980, just before I moved to Aberdeen. Again he changed my prescription, told me that my sight could not be corrected fully and sent me on my way.

i moved to Aberdeen. In 1983/4 I made an appointment to see another optician. he told me to go directly to my GP and ask for an opthalmologist appointment, expressing surprise that this advice had not been given earlier. By this time I was not able to drive.

My GP sent me to the Eye Hospital in Aberdeen and the doc there diagnosed bilateral KC and sent me to the optician in Aberdeen with whom the hospital had a contract.

They fitted my first RGP corneal lenses ... I could drive again! At that time I was 35.

Don't know if this is what youwant, sorry I don't know the values on the eye test.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Anna Mason » Wed 05 May 2004 9:17 pm

OK Diagnosed around the age of 12 (37 years ago).

Dont know my visual acuity but right eye would have been just about reading 3rd row.

Left eye would have been what chart where can you tell me where the wall is? :twisted:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”