Liquids on board aircraft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Roger Gibbens

Liquids on board aircraft

Postby Roger Gibbens » Mon 21 Aug 2006 5:41 pm

Hi there
Does anyone have thoughts on whether I will be allowed to take my contact lens case (with solution in them) on board an aircraft in my carry on luggage? Hopefully i can get solutions airside although I would not be able to take them on board when going to USA.
Should I get a note from my GP?
Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Roger

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 21 Aug 2006 7:43 pm

Hi Roger,

So far as far as I can find out only prescription medicines are still allowed so unless your solutions are on prescription, they will have to go in the hold. You can carry your lens case on with lenses in, but they will have to travel dry.

A letter from you GP may help, but I know some airlines will not accept this either.

Best is to contact the airline and airport concerned and ask as it appears the level security is dependant on the airport you are travelling from.

Hope this helps.

Gareth
Gareth

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 21 Aug 2006 10:55 pm

Sure Gareth is right about this. It might ease up but at the moment things are pretty black and white. The only way to find out for sure is to talk to the airline. Maybe the stewards can hold the solution for you? If its in a see-through container that might help but I don't hold out much hope!
Good luck anyway

Get a life...get a dog!

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Wed 23 Aug 2006 2:56 pm

I got back from Hungary yesterday and i found that coming home it doesnt matter what you have in your hanbd luggage as the airport there had next to no security. However when i left Manchester a week ago my contact lens solution was taken off me before i even spoken to the airline. It is passport control that take it not the airline. I even had to remove my shoes. :lol:

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 23 Aug 2006 3:15 pm

I think some people's feet actually are classed as weapons and I'm not talking karate either!! :(

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 23 Aug 2006 5:31 pm

I heard from a pilot that not even flight crew were being allowed to carry lens fluid on board aircraft.

I'd notify the airline that you have a "special need:, tell them the lens fluids you need, you may even have to produce medical evidence, and see if they are prepared to procure and ensure that the necessary fluids are available to you from their staff during the flight.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Christine Wright
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Christine Wright » Fri 25 Aug 2006 6:27 pm

Yes, I've had to write a letter for one of my Keratoconus patients who works at Birmingham airport. They have to go through security every day, and he says that at the moment the rules are changing all the time!

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Sat 26 Aug 2006 2:15 pm

i was in germany for a week or so recently, and, contact lens fluids and the like were not allowed in your handluggage, and must be in your suitcase or whatever is used. its probably best not to wear your contacts before and during the flight and to put them in when you reach your destination.

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Lesley Foster » Tue 29 Aug 2006 11:47 am

If this link worls it should show the official list from the BAA website

http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Sta ... _21Aug.pdf

It is interesting to note that even though smoking is not allowed on planes you are still able to take cigarettes and safety matches in your hand luggage! You could start a fire but not take the means to put it out!!

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

Emma Parkes
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Emma Parkes » Mon 04 Sep 2006 3:54 pm

If anyone is still interested in this. I work for an airline and the directive is that you can take sealed daily disposable contact lenses on board for use during the flight (only 1 or 2 sets). If you have longer wear lenses or hard lenses, you can take your lens case filled with solution, but no additional bottles of solution or eye drops. Hope this is useful

Emma

Return to “General Discussion Forum”