KC people living in Scotland

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Ross McFarlane
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Ross McFarlane » Tue 24 Oct 2023 9:09 am

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I was diagnosed with KC about 4 weeks ago.

I've now got some glasses and have requested referral to the Gartnavel contact lens clinic.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long the referral waiting times are? I can't seem to find these online.

Can anyone recommend a good Glasgow based optometrist or would you recommend sticking with the NHS?

Thanks in Advance

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 24 Oct 2023 3:12 pm

I suspect waiting times vary between hospitals, especially after Covid and the backlogs that built up then. In theory, it should be no more than 3 months for someone newly diagnosed. Gartnavel sees a lot of people with KC and has a good contact lens department so if you're managing OK with glasses for the moment, you're probably best sticking with them. You'll also get your contact lenses at a subsidised rate through the hospital, They are likely to be more expensive outside the hospital. But if your vision in specs is affecting work or study and waiting a few months would be a problem, have a look at the 'Living with KC' section on our home page. You'll find a list of some KC friendly optometrists there, and there's one in Glasgow. You'll also find leaflets you can download to explain KC and how it can affect you for teachers/tutors and for employers, including suggestions of how they can help you.

Ross McFarlane
Vision: Spectacles

Re: KC people living in Scotland

Postby Ross McFarlane » Wed 25 Oct 2023 9:13 am

Thanks so much for the reply.

I did see that there are 2 KC friendly optometrists listed in the greater Glasgow area.

Exact Eye care on Great Western Rd also suggest that they are experienced with KC.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the hospital soon.

Thanks again
Ross

Return to “General Discussion Forum”