Stuck in limbo - discharged from hospital

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Stuck in limbo - discharged from hospital

Postby Mas-tech » Wed 18 Oct 2023 8:45 pm

I've been attending Royal Berkshire Hospital for 10 years for my annual check-up and RGPs lenses. In 2022 I moved to Shropshire and when my next appointment was due at RBH, they said they've discharged me and need to go to my local hospital to continue my check-ups. The first thing I did when I moved house was get a new refferal at Shrewsbury hospital. I had my initial consultation and was advised I'll be reffered to the contact lens department to continue my check ups. It's been over a year now and still waiting for Shrewsbury hospital to book an appointment, and it makes it more annoying that my inital consultation was booked within 2/3 months.

Is there anyway to speed things up? As I'm due a new set of lenses as the ones I have are 3 years old. I've asked my GP to send my hospital records from RBH to Shrewsbury, but I'm not holding my breathe that will happen anytime soon.

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stuck in limbo - discharged from hospital

Postby Mas-tech » Thu 19 Oct 2023 2:38 pm

panic over. RBH called back and said the new clerk made a mistake, not been discharged. Phew!

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Thu 19 Oct 2023 3:26 pm

That's good to hear. One way to follow things up is to contact PALS at the relevant hospital and ask them to follow it up for you. It can be useful to engage this way when often specific departments and clinics are 'hidden' behind a switchboard and you have had no email response or even have an email address. PALS are not just for complaints and can sometimes smooth communications.

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mas-tech » Thu 19 Oct 2023 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info, didn't know such service was available. Will give them a call and see what they say about the long wait time for Shrewsbury.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”