East grinsted contact lens appointment

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

liseyloojack
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

East grinsted contact lens appointment

Postby liseyloojack » Wed 20 Sep 2023 10:29 pm

Dear all,

Since the beginning of the year there has been no contact lens appointments at East grinsted, I was due lenses check up in February but because I didn't have the yearly check up the opticians will not dispense the lenses. There is still no optician in place. Can anyone help, the reception staff are no help, what do you think is best to do? I wear my lenses on average 15 hours per day and I'm completely dependant on them but they are well overdue a change.

Many thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: East grinsted contact lens appointment

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 21 Sep 2023 4:47 pm

Hello Lisey,
We've recently had contact with the ECLO at QVH (I don't know whether you've seen that there will be a support meeting for people with KC at QVH in November https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... d-meeting/
so do go along if you can).
I contacted her today and she's confirmed what you've been told, that there is currently no optometrist dealing with contact lenses at the hospital and they are clearly having difficulty finding anyone to fill the vacancy. So if you think your vision has changed, the only options at the moment are to find a private optician who is experienced in fitting keratoconus patients or asking your GP to refer you to an alternative hospital. If your vision is stable and the fit is still fine so it's just a question of old lenses that need replacing, I have been given an e-mail address I can pass on to you where you can ask for a copy of your previous prescription. Sorry not to be able to give better news, but I hope that helps.
Anne

liseyloojack
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby liseyloojack » Mon 06 Nov 2023 8:04 pm

Hi Anne,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I enquired about a getting lenses privately and it was £400 for a fitting and £350 pounds per lens, I decided not to go for this option. I went to specsavers and they referred me to Brighton/PRH and I have an appointment at the end of the month. I can make the meeting next week but it's great to hear that these types of events take place, hopefully next time. Please could you forward me the email address that you have so I can get a copy of my lens prescription?
Many thanks,
Lisa.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 07 Nov 2023 4:15 pm

That's good news about your referral to Brighton. I'll e-mail you the address for getting a copy of your lens prescription. And I've removed your e-mail address from your post in case you suddenly get loads of e-mails from spammers.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”