Scleral contact lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

PhilLer
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Scleral contact lenses

Postby PhilLer » Thu 13 Jul 2023 11:59 am

Dear All

I actually have a moderate keratoconus on the left cornea and a deteriorated swelled corneal transplant for 24 years on the right cornea. An experienced surgeon advised me to use scleral contact lenses instead of spectables to improve my vision. What do yo think about using these lenses?
Do you use them and what do you think about them?

I thank you very much for your attention and response.

Kind regards
Philippe

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Scleral contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 15 Jul 2023 4:36 pm

Hello Philippe,
I'm not a scleral lens user, but we have quite a few members who are. They're often recommended when a standard corneal rgp lens would be difficult to fit, as they don't touch the cornea (or the transplant). And a lot of people find them very comfortable. So definitely worth a try.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Sat 15 Jul 2023 6:38 pm

I've been one of those long-term scleral wearers. Both before graft and after. Initially, I wore them because we could not get a good fit with regular RGP lenses, they would even flick out at times. I needed correction after graft and scleral lenses have the advantage of 'vaulting' over the graft If the fit is right (which can sometimes take a few attempts and trial runs) the cornea sits in saline behind the lens so is really comfortable. If you are an NHS patient they cost approx £60 per lens. Vision should be better than spectacles too.

There is a bit of a learning curve to inserting and removing them but the hospital should teach you, there are videos and you can ask here if you have specific questions.

Graham

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 02 Aug 2023 11:53 am

I tried these but unfortunately they caused blood vessels to form under my eyelid, so were not recommended for full time usage. I could perhaps go to Moorfields for another attempt... but I've not bothered with that yet.

Otherwise they were good, I found the vision better than regular soft lenses and the comfort was good.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”