Moorfields face masks

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Moorfields face masks

Postby Green » Thu 29 Dec 2022 1:27 pm

My appt reminder says to wear a face mask unless exempt but clinical staff are not consistent, some do, some don't, I feel there should be consistency for everyone given close proximity on a slitlamp.
I'm happy to wear a mask in all indoor public spaces ie drs, hosps, transport, supermarket, especially as an asthmatic because non-covid viruses can take me 2 months to recover from with steroids and a back in total spasm. Friends & family always avoid infecting me if they're ill because they know it hits me harder.
So it doesn't make sense to me - wear a mask, but it's your choice not to, some clinical staff wearing, others not, asked about covid symptoms at the door at Moorfields A&E, and do a test before surgery, but it's everyone's choice to use a mask.
I'm recovering from hospital acquired covid, from a general hosp A&E which is annoying after 2 years of taking every precaution. I had a maskless triage nurse and treating consultant surrounded by maskless covid++ coughers in the waiting area.
The NHS is on its knees for all the reasons most of us know which I won't list as that's political, but it's frustrating that on this single point there is no consistent policy.

'Mask-wearing is the single most effective public health measure at tackling Covid, according to the first global study of its kind, which found that the measure was linked to a 53% fall in the incidence of the disease.‘ half the Covid=more freedom.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: Moorfields face masks

Postby space_cadet » Thu 05 Jan 2023 8:50 am

it has never been legally binding to wear a mask just "best practice" and "strongly advised"
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Sun 19 Feb 2023 11:00 am

For sure, but given its airborne and repeated infection is not great its a no-brainer!
People are getting covid from hospitals

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Sun 19 Feb 2023 12:10 pm

If you want maximum protection when others around you are not mask wearing you need to wear an FFP3 mask https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFP_standards

There is an argument made by my GP, who is very cautious, that excessive long-term mask wearing when you don't need to, could increase your vulnerability to low level infections like the common cold. It all depends on your personal health situation.

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Tue 21 Feb 2023 7:16 pm

There is zero evidence of that GPs line

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Tue 21 Feb 2023 7:16 pm

540 people died from covid last week

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Fri 24 Feb 2023 8:50 am

from covid or with covid, theirs a huge difference.
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Green » Fri 24 Feb 2023 10:35 am

I appreciate that difference but my points on masks still stand, in general hospital A&E they're overwhelmed and can't separate infected from uninfected, there is no excuse to not be using them in healthcare otherwise to help with reducing hospital acquired infection, FFP3 are best but even surgical better rhan nothing.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Thu 02 Mar 2023 7:56 am

My partner C had to have a minor procedure a few weeks back now and the receptionist was apparently according to C (I couldn't see) wearing a mask on her chin not covering her nose thus voiding it of much of its potential. if staff in hospitals n healthcare settings cant wear a mask right it makes you wonder what hope their is for joe public

Return to “General Discussion Forum”