Rigid lenses hurt like hell

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

McIzzerson
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Rigid lenses hurt like hell

Postby McIzzerson » Wed 27 Jul 2022 8:58 am

Following crosslinking, I have now received my rigid lenses. I attempted to put these in for an hour today (as advised by my consultant, who recommended I build up day by day). It hurt so much I had to take it out within a minute, my eye had teared up so much it was a struggle to get the lens out and it hurt like hell - still does an hour later.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? I feel miserable and like a failure.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Rigid lenses hurt like hell

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 27 Jul 2022 7:46 pm

Getting used to rigid lenses does take a while, but it shouldn't be this painful. What was it like when you were being fitted for them? Did you experience a lot of pain then? If not, then maybe the lenses weren't made up exactly as specified in the prescription. Mistakes can happen. And how much difference did the lenses make to your vision when you were being fitted? I'm hoping you have a follow up appointment quite soon to check how you're getting on. If you have the same experience tomorrow, then I'm not sure it's sensible to persevere. And don't beat yourself up about it - getting the right contact lens can take several attempts. You're not a failure!

Green
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Rigid lenses hurt like hell

Postby Green » Wed 07 Sep 2022 5:40 pm

My first experience of RGPs were excruciating but for decades its all I can use. Ask for extra help don't suffer alone x

Return to “General Discussion Forum”